PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help in the area with my tank.

Rob_Reef_Keeper
09/01/2004, 08:54 PM
Hello,

Some of you may remember my ongoing struggles with hair algae over taking my tank.

I went as far as yanking the DSB and buying new equipment.

ITS STILL HERE. I ma on my last straw before the tnak goes into the dumpster.

I am wondering if anyone in the area is willing to come over and take a look? I live in Pomona, Rockland County.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

WAGERJA
09/02/2004, 07:51 AM
PM Sparkyreef he just got his HA under control. He might have some ideas for ya.

Also when I had a bad HA outbreak I took all but one fish out of my 75 and stopped feeding the tank for a month. At bout 4 weeks it started to die off and continued to die off after that even though I started feeding once a week for two more months. I have not seen any since then and slowly add fish back to my liking. The one fish and all corals lived thru the tank starvation with no problems.

There are many ways to fight HA out breaks but in general I have found:
1. That taking the rock out to scrub it is counter productive.
2. The best thing you can do is make changes that put the nutrient import / export in your favor and then sit back and wait for things to re-stabilize.
3. Making repeated changes most of the time only makes things worse.

If I can find the time this week I'll stop by. Shoot me a pm with your phone # and I'll give you a ring.

Jay

wasp9166
09/04/2004, 12:58 PM
yellow tang took care of mine

foxstop
09/04/2004, 03:10 PM
Here's the link to Sparkysreef and the update on his war with Bryopsis. http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=420

He began using AZ-NO3 (see here: http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_additives_azno3.asp?CartId=

Apparently it helps the skimmer and has produced good results for him. I would PM him as well as I have no first hand experience with the stuff.

Good luck.

Brian

Rob_Reef_Keeper
09/14/2004, 06:19 AM
I tried a foxface and it died in less than a week.

Maybe time to dump the tank and go back to goldfish.

WAGERJA
09/14/2004, 07:46 AM
No no no man.... don't give up. What are you doing Thur at 4:30-5ish? I can stop by on my way home from work. WE CAN FIX THIS! Chin up and that stuff.

Jay

Rob_Reef_Keeper
09/14/2004, 05:11 PM
just pure aggrevation.

I don't get home until after 6:00 PM usually.

WAGERJA
09/15/2004, 07:05 AM
I'll call ya tonight we can set something up.

Tomzpc
09/15/2004, 09:10 AM
Jay's the man! He'll get you fixed up Rob. Don't give up the fight.

WAGERJA
09/16/2004, 02:18 PM
hey Rob shoot me a PM with directions to your place from Newburgh. I'm going to go home and eat some diner as I get out at 4pm and don't want to hang out at work til 6pm.
see ya later
Jay