PDA

View Full Version : Spare pump to mechanize water changes?

JFDII
08/30/2004, 07:37 PM
I'm thinking about plumbing up a spare pump so that I can remove water from my sump and pump it to the sink, then close valves and open others so that the pump is fed from a tank holding my replacement saltwater and pump that back into the sump. Has anyone done anything like this? Course, with this set up I won't be using my python vacuum anymore. Mayby I should use it to remove the water and just rig up the pump to empty the reserve tank into the sump. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

ReeferMac
08/31/2004, 07:22 AM
Did something very similar in my current tank.

http://reef.myip.org/230/alive/320x240return_n_drain.jpg

The black-handled valve you see behind the return line, is my drain. Open that puppy up, and the contents of the sump will drain right into the crock to the sump-pump for my home (and out to a storm drain from there, I think?). Refilling is a little more complicated due to space contraints, but your idea of elevating a storage tank, and draining that back into the (now empty) sump, would work rather well.
Even easier, may be simply plumbing a T into your return line, and capping it off w/ a valve. Open to change water, close for normal operation. That's what a friend of mine did, and it works great. Likewise, he simply refills the sump to replace removed water.

- Mac

JFDII
08/31/2004, 06:07 PM
Appreciate the picture and input. I'm just starting out and wanted to make sure I wasn't going down some bad path that's already been discovered. I'm trying to type this with my 11 month old in my lap...herding cats is easier. Again thanks. Gotta go, she's got the mous

ReeferMac
08/31/2004, 07:12 PM
LOL! Wifey's in the process of putting our little 14 month old to bed (can't lactate, sorry sweety). Believe me, I know your pain. Best part tho is the first time they say "fffssshhhh"! Makes it worth it.

- Mac