PDA

View Full Version : what does unlocked mean on cell phones

lilbuddy
08/30/2004, 12:52 PM
Ok so my sprint phone service has really sucked....Im looking for nextel phones and see a few on ebay...I dont understand what it means by unlocked....

I also looked up my sprint phone on ebay I have a nokia 6220 or something like that and it says unlocked too...the unlocked ones sell for more...what does this mean?

anyone have a connection for nextel phones? and why are nextel phones so expensive?

beerguy
08/30/2004, 12:55 PM
Locked or Unlocked refers to the phone's ability to use another service without reprogramming. It's most important on GSM phones that use SIM cards. It makes changing phones as easy as just swapping cards.

BrianD
08/30/2004, 12:59 PM
beerguy, I double dog dare you to anwer a technical post without an acronymn.

Beerguy's typical response:

"If your FJMSI doesn't fit into your GCI, your IUTA version is probably conflicting with the BIOM. You can contact APEA for a possible resolution, but CKLF KJLE KSI. Or, as my DAD used to say, LKELKJFOIJOIERF."

Just admit you are clueless and just make these things up to look smart, knowing that no one wants to look stupid by asking what they mean.

JumboShrimp
08/30/2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by BrianD
beerguy, I double dog dare you to anwer a technical post without an acronymn.

Beerguy's typical response:

"If your FJMSI doesn't fit into your GCI, your IUTA version is probably conflicting with the BIOM. You can contact APEA for a possible resolution, but CKLF KJLE KSI. Or, as my DAD used to say, LKELKJFOIJOIERF."

Just admit you are clueless and just make these things up to look smart, knowing that no one wants to look stupid by asking what they mean.

LMAO :lol: :lolspin:

beerguy
08/30/2004, 01:02 PM
Welcome home son.

LOL

lilbuddy
08/30/2004, 01:03 PM
that was pretty funny brianD

so beerguy if I understand you..you are saying if you got a phone from sprint and it has the spint logo on it...then you want to use verizion you can bring that phone to them and have them program it?.....if your phone is unlocked?

beerguy
08/30/2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by lilbuddy
so beerguy if I understand you..you are saying if you got a phone from sprint and it has the spint logo on it...then you want to use verizion you can bring that phone to them and have them program it?.....if your phone is unlocked?

If the phone is unlocked then it will work, as long as the phones use the same band and technology. (Brian stop reading here) Using a GSM phone on a CDMA network doesn't work. Even if it's possible they may charge you a prohibitively large fee to do the programming. It's often cheaper to just do the new contract thing. If it's locked you have to try to get the phone unlock code from the original provider. A commonly used tactic is to tell them that you're moving out of the country and need it unlocked to switch to a service where you're going. Your actual miles may vary.

You can find more information here (http://www.howardforums.com/). It's basically Reef Central for the cellphone world.

With my GSM phone I don't even need to tell them I've changed. I used to switch between phones on a regular basis depending on what I was doing; i.e. if going to a nice restaurant I'd switch to a pocket sized Nokia instead of my huge Treo.

BrianD
08/30/2004, 01:10 PM
*here comes the acronyms*

Beerguy was all puzzled at breakfast one day when he yelled out "There is a message in my Alphabets! It is a ghost or some spirit talking to me, because they say "OOOOOOOOO".

Beerguy's son walked up, looked into the bowl, and said "You are eating Cheerios stupid"

beerguy
08/30/2004, 01:12 PM
Brian you can just say that you're not smart enough to figure out what we're talking about. You don't have to hide it behind a thinly veiled shield of insults.

BrianD
08/30/2004, 01:14 PM
I don't think it was thinly veiled at all. I am totally unveiled.

Flanders
08/30/2004, 01:21 PM
Thank you Brian, I am now gouging out my eyes with a grapefruit spoon.

lilbuddy
08/30/2004, 01:37 PM
so does anyone have a connection with nextel...why are their phones so much. I dont get it...

beerguy
08/30/2004, 01:42 PM
I don't have a connection with them but they all have the two-way function built. I'm pretty sure it has quite a bit to do with the cost.

lilbuddy
08/30/2004, 01:57 PM
I think altel has that now too

JumboShrimp
08/30/2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Flanders

They make spoons for grapefruits?? WOW ive been missing out!!

JumboShrimp
08/30/2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Flanders

They make spoons for grapefruits?? WOW ive been missing out!!

:celeb1:

JumboShrimp
08/30/2004, 03:31 PM
oops double post sorry

BrianD
08/30/2004, 03:31 PM
I bet if you go to HSN, they probably sell these and will send them UPS. Of course, if you don't have a CC, you will have to pay COD.

JMO

DMOY

Flanders
08/30/2004, 04:32 PM
The GF spoons are the ones with the serrated edges. Much better tool for gouging.

http://www.kitchenetc.com/shared_content/photos/large/976704.jpg

JS, I see you're in HS -- my M&D never had any GS either so that's something I didn't discover till I moved out. They're a must for the serious GF lover.

JumboShrimp
08/30/2004, 04:34 PM
lol brian and his laymen abriviations

JumboShrimp
08/30/2004, 04:35 PM
HOLY CRAP THERE REAL!! im gettin me a set of those....