PDA

View Full Version : What are the best powerheads for a reef system?

dtaggart1398
08/30/2004, 10:48 AM
I am looking at purchasing some new powerheads for my 260 g. reef system. How many, what size, and which brand would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

bkwudzjeep
08/30/2004, 10:54 AM
I am sure for something that size you'll hear Tunze=$$ (but worth it I hear) , but for smaller powerheads, I'd vote for maxijets

CaliforniaDreamer
08/30/2004, 10:54 AM
Tunze Streams are IMO the best PH's for providing water flow available. They provide lots of flow while avoiding a fire hose effect. They can also be controlled to provide very realistic wave effects. They are also very energy efficient. Unfortunately they are also very expensive. As far as how many and what size that depends on what you are planning for the tank. It also depends on what other flow the tank will have, return from sump, closed loop, ...

dtaggart1398
08/30/2004, 11:03 AM
I have two return points at the top back center of my tanks that direct flow across the top of the tank toward the front outer corners. But this doesn't provide much circulation or current across the reef. I would like to have optimal current running across the reef at lower level.

bobherbertperry
08/30/2004, 11:42 AM
if you want optimal current go with tunzes, I don't have them but in a few months will be buying one, I have seen them in action and they are amazing. If you want smaller pumps you can get maxijets but one tunze will replace 6 or 7 maxijets. It would be worth it in the end to just got out and pay for the tunzes and controller upfront and have btter growth ,color and polyp extension.

AZDesertRat
08/30/2004, 01:16 PM
If you can't afford the Tunzes look at the Seio 820s. They are a big improvement over Rios and put out much more flow than Maxijets and use less power. The flow is dispersed and not directional like MJs so you dont blast your corals off the rock. www.customaquatic.com has a really good deal on them right now.

MiddletonMark
08/30/2004, 01:18 PM
Another vote for the Tunzes. 260g is a lot of water, and IMO they're the only thing that really moves enough for that size [else a closed loop or other external pump].

The controllable ones can really do some tricks.

ssheipel
08/30/2004, 01:36 PM
I've got one Tunze Stream on a controller in my 120g. The thing ROCKS. Oh, and it moves a lot of water too :)

I wish I'd gotten two and just forgot about the Sea Swirls.

If you can afford Tunze then I'd say there's little other choice if you're going with the "powerhead" option.

steve

nossalucard
08/30/2004, 04:47 PM
On a tank that size, I'd go with 6 Rio Seio 820's. I have 2 on my 125 and they pump good amount of water, and it's not overwhelming to the inhabitants of the tank. Be sure to mount them "tunze" style.

Good luck....

nossalucard
08/30/2004, 04:48 PM
Actually, you would probably actually be alright with just 4 rio seio 820's, 6 might be overkill.