PDA

View Full Version : sump baffle help please!!

DaveP
10/23/2001, 02:42 PM
I am literally building my new sump right now. I want to ensure that NO! bubbles get back into the tank. Here is my setup, I need some opinions please. Oh yeah, its a 58 gallon tank and the sump is 25X11X16.
Water enters through 1" PVC and flows over an 8" baffle where my skimmer sits. The skimmer sits here by the outflow is elbowed back over the first baffle. Then water flows over an 8" baffle and immediately under a baffle. Here sits my refugium and then a 7" baffles before the return pump.
to sum it up: over, skimmer, over, under, refugium, over, external pump.
Will this work??
Thanks!!
DaveP

Agu
10/23/2001, 03:39 PM
Yes.... but, all the evaporation or water level fluctuations will be shown in the final pump chamber. If it's not large enough and/or if you don't have auto topoff the pump could suck air. At best you'll have bubbles in your tank, at worst it'll run dry and die. A better alternative imo would be over- skimmer-over under over- sump- perforated divider- pump. Then the entire volume of the refugium would absorb any evaporation or other causes of water level changes.

Also, I'd make the first baffle slightly higher than the second baffle.

hth,
Agu

DaveP
10/23/2001, 03:55 PM
Agu,
Thanks for the reply
I already have a hole drilled for a Kent Float Valve in the final chamber. :)
Any other thoughts on my sump design??

DaveP
10/23/2001, 04:02 PM
Agu.
Thought about your idea a little more and I think it does make more sense. I can simply put an eggcrate divider before the pump. This way the pump won't be working as hard.
Thanks!!
DaveP