PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gal Glass tank over a basement?

cknowlto
08/27/2004, 07:22 PM
Anyone comment here?

I have it near an outside wall, but the wife is stressing about it crunching it's way down into the basement. I was pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about, but I thought I'd ask.

I saw the 220 upstairs in CF and it's supported only on 2 sides with 4in poles on one side and a wall on the other.

Gary Majchrzak
08/27/2004, 07:43 PM
Make sure your floor joists run perpendicular to the load (length) of your aquarium. I never saw the 220 at CF, but every structure varies in methods and materials. Research what's under your flooring- it's better to be safe than sorry.

rwdandald
08/27/2004, 07:50 PM
I have my 150 over a basement in an older home. As Gary mentioned check the direction of the supports. When I set up my tank my father-in-law- retired carpenter/construction guy- looked at it and said no problem but I still got 2 $90 steel beam supports just to make myself feel lots better about it.

ri
08/27/2004, 07:56 PM
Most of the time the weight of a fully loaded tank is not too much of a concern as the weight is spread out over the perimeter of the tank/stand. However, as Gary already mentioned, your better safe than sorry. If your concerned, you may be able to add a few supports in the basement.

My old 94 gallon tank spent a few years against an inside (supporting) wall. Although I never measured for levelness, I never noticed any detectable sag in the floor or unlevelness in the water height.

ri

cknowlto
08/27/2004, 09:50 PM
Sigh! :(

It is running parallel with the floor joists. We really have no other place to put it. I am pretty sure though that I will be fine until I can get a pole under there.

Then I will use a 2 ton jack to level things back up if necessary and put a couple of 4x4s under another 4x4 like an arch under the joist that is bearing the most weight and the two on either side of it. (90 deg to the joists)

FYI, after 1/2 full, I can not detect any level difference. Can't fill it any more because I have to leave room for 45 - 48 gals of water from the old tank.

As soon as I get them transfered to my gallery I will post setup montage.