PDA

View Full Version : clownfish spawn!!- rotifier culture needed

reefer420
08/27/2004, 09:17 AM
Hello all,
Two of my clownfish spawned recently, the species are A. melanopus and A. frenatus. The eggs are very distinct now and I believe they will release in the next few days(eggs are silverish colored). I can see the distinct eyes etc. I was just wondering if anyone has a liter or two of dense rotifier culture to get me started. I will pay cash or trade sps frags. Or if anyone is raising clownfish locally I would love to hear about your trials and errors.
Figured I would ask here before I seek retail options..

Thanks,
Paul

mhurley
08/27/2004, 09:22 AM
I know that Splash of Life carries rotifiers.
I know zippo about raising fry...and Rod there can definitely help you on trying to rear them...

reefer420
08/27/2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks, yeah I talked to Brett yesterday and I guess they are moving stores and took it all to the new location. I am gonna send Rod a email and hopefully I can purchase a liter from them. I was just looking locally in the hobbiest world first. Their hours through the week are 4-7, so it is kinda difficult getting out there.
Thanks for the advice.
Paul

jgleach
08/27/2004, 10:44 AM
reefer420...If you haven't read this already, it's worth the read.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=240158
You'll find that there's no reason to get frantic. Your clowns will spawn quite regularly. CONGRATS!

misery
08/27/2004, 11:03 AM
I can come up with five or so liters of phyto for you, if you need.. Also, Old Orchard aquarium has rotifers.

makoshark
08/27/2004, 12:06 PM
Hey Paul! Might be worth your while to PM Douglas LEHMAN (http://reefcentral.com/forums/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=24644) (CMAS Pres.) Last I heard he was breeding false percs. Although, I'm not sure that Des Plains is any closer than Elburn.

Rod Buehler
08/28/2004, 07:22 AM
I can spare some rotifers. They are not at the new store. They, nor any of my clowns will be at the new store. I have moved them all back to my farm (adult pair and the rest of the glass tanks will be moved on Sunday).
I dont think that anything has been moved to the new store.
PM me or email me through RC if you would still like rots, but if the tips are silver, I bet its too late for this batch.
Good Luck

reefer420
08/28/2004, 09:26 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice and offerings. Jeff, thanks for the link, I went out and bought Joyce's book the first day I knew we were expecting. Very cool book and well written. Thanks for the Congrats, glad it was my clownfish and not my wife again. LOL Misery, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it in a few days when I get this whole microculture thing going, if not I may look to you for some advice since you are culturing...Rod, thanks, I just sent you a PM. Now I know why we all love Splash of Life so much. When I spoke to other LFS, they laughed at me, I honestly don't even know if they knew what I was asking them. One store told me they had what I needed and upon arrival I found that they thought I was talking about phyto!!! Upset me a little bit since I drove there all excited to get my rotifiers. Oh well, enough rambling. Thanks again to each of you.

Paul

misery
08/28/2004, 04:07 PM
No prob, meng.. Culturing is pretty easy, much easier with some micro-algae-grow.