PDA

View Full Version : Pic of my blue zoos eating cyclopeeze

john76
08/26/2004, 10:55 PM
Just direct fed some cyclopeeze and got this pic.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/17227My_blues_eating_cyclopeeze.JPG

ADHybrid
08/26/2004, 11:20 PM
Nice pic and blues. where did ya pick those up from?

-Chris

mummra100769
08/27/2004, 12:41 AM
with all respect i do not think zoos eat per say.i was under the impression that they had undeveloped digestive systems and only absorbed nutrients from the water column.i could be wrong here maybe someone with more xp could chime in on this.

ADHybrid
08/27/2004, 01:03 AM
I was under the impression they consumed bacteria and other micro fauna but I may also be wrong. If this is true, I'm sure they could consume cyclopeeze

-Chris

zrograviti
08/27/2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by mummra100769
with all respect i do not think zoos eat per say.i was under the impression that they had undeveloped digestive systems and only absorbed nutrients from the water column.i could be wrong here maybe someone with more xp could chime in on this.

There has been many debates on this issue. I am a strong believer that some, not all, zoanthids have ability to consume food other than nutriets that are desolved in the water. I do have more than 25 different kind and they do react differently when frozen zoo planktons land on them; some has no responce, some react very fast and close, others slowly takes the food to the mouth without closing all the way. Who knows.

john76
08/27/2004, 08:23 AM
All of my protopalythoas eat solid foods. Which is what led me to believe that these were palys and not regular zoanthids. But when I posted the question/pics a couple months ago most here said that they were in fact zoanthids. I've definitely seen them eat. I have a pic at home of one of them with a peice of a silverside halfway down.

As to regular zoanthids like these:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/17227Zoas.JPG

I've never seen them take foods from the water column. So I'd have to say that they don't eat solid foods.

I got them from Bryan @ The Logical Reef BTW....

PUGroyale
08/27/2004, 01:13 PM
Not gonna argue with your success John76! Rolling hills O' zoos ...very nice :D

SpicyBalls
08/27/2004, 02:20 PM
ooooo colors.... nice zo's..