PDA

View Full Version : Burgandy Linkia Star Question

liz3
08/25/2004, 09:29 PM
I have had a linkia in my tank for 7 days. It was cruising around the tank doing fine.

Yesterday, after work I'm looking for the star and see it on the back wall of the tank, but one of the six legs is off at the base and the leg is about two inches next to the body, clinging to the wall. It looked like the leg decided to stay when the body left and just pulled off. This morning, both are clinging to the wall couple more inches apart. Came home from work. Both still clinging to wall, even more inches apart.

What is up? Should I remove the leg? What could have happened. I have shrimp, hermits, snails, green bristle stars, and nonaggressive fish.

How long can the leg hang on with out the body?

dlancz
08/25/2004, 11:24 PM
Have not seen this in an aquarium, but from what I know about starfish in the wild, they are able to regenerate and especially the linkia..... With most starfishes you need the center of the fish to regenerate, but cutting off any part of the linkia's body (in the wild) will cause you to have two..... It is supposed to be very rare in captivity, but my guess is that your linkia has reproduced asexually, and given time You'll have two of 'em........ I would leave the leg alone for a while to see what happens..... You could very well end up with twins!

liz3
08/26/2004, 06:31 AM
That would be very cool. I highly doubt it, though, it has only been in my tank a week. While I set up my tank with pretty much live rock and sand from people's tanks, and had absolutely no cycle from the beginning, it is only up and running since May 1st.

Could it still be possible?

dlancz
08/26/2004, 03:01 PM
Well I'm not a starfish expert, but I do remember reading somewhere where a costal mollusk farming operation had a starfish infestation, the stars were eating all their livestock.... They put the starfish in a chipper/shredder and within months the starfish had regenerated..... Again this took place in the wild, but in your tank it is possible that the fish attempted to do the same....... Can't say it'll be successful...... Is the leg dead, or does it appear to be alive? I'd watch for signs of decay and a possible ammonia spike, if everything looks good, it's possible that it may make it, but the odds are stacked against it..... You're more likely to see your star grow another leg than to see your leg grow another star, but I can't say it's impossible...... If the leg is still alive, the biggest difficulty it's going to encounter is getting food until it can regenerate a mouth..... I am in no way an expert on starfishes, and thus I am not qualified to tell you how to keep this leg alive long enough for it to regenerate, but I do know that it's possible....... Maybe someone on here can offer some advice, if not I'd call someone at the aquarium or the zoo..... They are usually more than willing to provide info, time permitting....... But before you decide how to keep it alive, you have to determine wether or not it is still alive.....

Hope this helps

liz3
08/26/2004, 09:27 PM
Well tried to see if both were alive tonight. Yes they are. Kind of creepy, but the leg after gently taking off the glass in back, and holding up agains the front glass, sent out it's tentacles to attach. The star did the same.

Good question on what the heck you do to get a leg to generate a mouth??? I don't expect it to live, but this is very intersting to say the least. Especially since my tank is so young. I would not expect "a leg" to survive in there.

It will be interesting to see.

dlacz...appreciate the advice as I certainly am a beginner. I was just hoping that the burgandy linkia would survive my acclimation process, which I did slowly. To have this happen really freaked me out.

Where do I go to find the experts to even ask how you feed a linkia star leg??????

dlancz
08/27/2004, 02:02 AM
Give it time, if it stays alive it will grow it's self a new body...... Just like the star will grow another leg...... All depends on wether or not the leg survives, but the regeneration is pretty much automatic....... You don't have to do anything other than keep it alive to get it to regenerate........ Maybe Dr Ron from the ask Dr Ron forum would be able to help..... He is an expert on invert zoology..... Good luck!

liz3
08/27/2004, 08:06 AM
I'll ask his opinion.

Thanks.

dlancz
09/03/2004, 02:46 AM
Any luck with it? I assume that the star is doing ok, but what about the leg? Is it still hanging on? (Pun Intended) Let me know!

Thanks,

Drew

dlancz
09/08/2004, 04:16 AM
Any news?

liz3
09/08/2004, 07:45 PM
Well, the star took off into the rock, from what I understand they eat sponges and I have plenty on the rock.

The leg also took off for the rocks, yes, it crawled off on it's own. So weird to watch that.

I haven't seen either for two days.

I'll let you know at first sight of either. I'm curious myself what will happen.

dlancz
09/08/2004, 08:24 PM
Well I wish 'em both luck! Keep me posted!

liz3
09/08/2004, 09:43 PM
Well, I did find the star tonight, only 5 legs still, hanging upside down with only it's legs, not the whole body under a rock. No sign of the leg, but it was only about 1 1/2 inch long and could be anywhere or dead. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the interest dlancz, I'm getting a little hopeful now.

dlancz
09/09/2004, 09:27 PM
No prob! It's pretty cool if you ask me!

I never had a bad feeling about the legless star, It'll sprout a ne leg with no problem, but the little leg running around is very cool I just hope he makes it!

liz3
09/09/2004, 10:21 PM
star seems to be fine, found him across the entire tank today, no sign of the leg, but I'm still hopeful. What I'm amazed at is that my tank is only up and running since 5/1. I thought I was taking a huge chance just getting the linkia, but I did start will all established sand and rock. I'm happy that the linkia star is alive, I thought it was a gonner when I saw the seperation. I thought for sure it would just turn to mush. But like I said, I took the leg from the back, gently, and held it up to the front glass and it sent out it's little suckers to stick. I'll definately keep you updated if I ever see the leg. You seem to be the only one interested.

Wish me luck!

liz3
09/09/2004, 10:27 PM
OH, by the way, Dr. Ron, gave the same prognosis. The star will probably survive, but not the leg. I have a 180 with a lot of hiding places. Sometimes I don't even see fish for a while, so the leg could still be hiding in there, as it headed for a darker spot under the tank.

dlancz
09/10/2004, 06:15 PM
Well it's good to know that my advice was right on! Dr. Ron is quite an expert..... I guess there was some value in those Biology classes at Loyola! It's about time I start seeing some return on that investment! God knows I spent enough money on it! LOL

Don't mind me, just glad I could help!

Drew

liz3
09/10/2004, 10:52 PM
Well money well spent in an interest you have. Doesn't sound good for my leg surviving though. So sad. I was really being hopeful. Star is doing fine cruising around the tank and that's all I hoped for,,,,,but would love to see a second one show up one day.

Second Drew in the hobby I talk to. Not exactly a common name.

Thanks for the hope.

dlancz
09/11/2004, 01:46 PM
Not a problem! Believe me I will be very happy for you if the leg makes it..... Just wish there was more info on this type of situation.... Biologically the starfish is not going to throw off a leg unprovoked without thinking that the leg will make it...... But then again a tank is much different than their natural environment so behavior changes, as well as the legs actual chances for survival..... Worst case scenario you get to watch your star grow a new leg which is rather cool.... I used to keep lizards and if their tail falls off, they grow a new one.... It would be much more amazing to watch a tail grow a new lizard..... But I'm just happy I got to watch a little biology in action.....

Drew is a rather uncommon name, can't say I have ran across many others myself!

Glad to have been helpful!

liz3
09/11/2004, 09:52 PM
No sign of the leg, but the star is completely cruising the tank. No sign of a new leg though.

Hey I was just in Lombard today. Tropi Quatics in there new location is going to be great once they get their stock up. I got a feather, non toxic magenta sea slug and curly cue anenome for 28.00. They have the best prices around.

I'm going to try to do a search for the leg after lights out. Maybe that's why I haven't seen it. Too many predators in the light.

Drew is a cool name. Love it.

dlancz
09/12/2004, 01:58 AM
Glad they are open again!

It's a very convenient location... Walking distance. Too bad I have to work so much lately, I'd love to head over there!

liz3
09/15/2004, 07:15 PM
I still see the star cruising, no sign of the leg, but then again, I haven't had much time to do a good search. How long before the leg starts to regenerate? Any idean?

Thanks Drew.

liz3
10/09/2004, 12:16 PM
Just an update. No sign of leg yet, but there are a lot of places to hide. The star is starting to get a stub of a leg.

I'm still being hopeful for the leg.

MiddletonMark
11/21/2004, 04:53 PM
Any update on the story of the leg?

Just stumbled on this thread, but the whole image of the leg crawling around makes me want to know the good or bad outcome.

liz3
11/21/2004, 07:05 PM
The stars leg has almost grown back, but I have not seen any sign of the leg. It was weird to say the least to see the leg walk away.

liz3
11/21/2004, 11:22 PM
HEY, I'm still hopefull. I assume if the leg was regenerating, it will take time for it to show up. The star still has not completely regenerated it's leg. I'll keep looking.