PDA

View Full Version : Sump/Refugium Questions!!!

svb57
08/25/2004, 01:00 PM
I am in the process of converting a 55 gallon aquarium into a sump/refugium for a 125 gallon mixed reef tank. In it I expect to put (unless told otherwise) a EV180 AquaC skimmer run with a Mag 7 pump and (2) 250 Pro-Heat titanium heaters. There are (2) 1.5" over flows into the sump passing through a media compartment in the sump. The return pump will be a Iwaki MD70RLT. The water level in the sump is to be 8". I will baffle the water coming from the aquarium drains as well as the water coming out of the skimmer return. The baffles will be 3/4" apart and 12" in length (not sure if this is enough or to much?) The area I have for the water infont of the return pump will be 8" x 8" x 12" or roughly 3.5 gallons (will this be big enough?). The refugium will be 10 gallons in size and have the usual live items in it. Any and all comments will be helpful!!!

Thanks

little_squid
08/26/2004, 10:52 AM
if it was me id make the 55 the fuge and add a rubbermaid sump :-) if ya have the room for it :-)

rickyb
08/26/2004, 12:35 PM
or... make channels within the 55 to have the refugium in it.
I used to have a 29G refugium/sump that worked fine. Now I have a sump only and i'm looking for ways to incorporate a refugium in it.