PDA

View Full Version : OT: Calling all woodworkers! Need to match this oak [img]

Anthony8858
08/25/2004, 06:46 AM
Sorry for the OT post, but it's somewhat related.

I just purchased a MH/ VHO Retro kit. I intend to mount it inside my canopy. However, I think the canopy should be a little higher, so I'd like to modify this exsisting canopy.

The canopy on the tank, is an AGA oak finish canopy for a 90 gallon. (48" x 18" x 9")

I'm building a "cap" to put directly on top of the canopy, with all the lighting. This would allow a simple removal for servicing the tank.

Has anyone had any luck matching the wood and finish?

If so, please share your results.

http://home.earthlink.net/~achiusano/images/wood.jpg

Fat Man
08/25/2004, 06:55 AM
Looks to be your basic red oak from the lumber yard. The stain looks like a clear polyurethane, but its hard to tell from a picture. If you had a small piece you could take to a paint store and match it. I've taken a cabinet door off before. You could also call AGA and find out what they use.

pbs911
08/25/2004, 11:02 AM
Do you have a small piece? If so take it down to a local hardwood merchant. The ones around my house really know their stuff and are able to give a very good educated opinion. Good luck. Woodwork is alot of fun.

Crusty Old Shellback
08/25/2004, 11:09 AM
FATMAN is correct, it's your basic flat sawn red oak w/ a clear coat finish. Does he win the prize? It may be hard to match but I'm sure you can come cloes. Go to the lumber store and find some red oak, take a little peice of sandpaper with you to sand a fresh area. wet the freshly sanded area w/ a bit of spit and you will be able to see what it will look like after you've sanded it and then put on a clear coat. Good luck with it.

deansreef
08/25/2004, 11:14 AM
it is definitely red oak ps edgebanding.

Dean

Chris L
08/25/2004, 12:22 PM
I agree that it is red oak, but I am pretty sure that there is some sort of stain on it. I have the same stand for my 180 gallon tank and want to raise the stand and am going to face the same problem in a few weeks. I would call them and let us know what they say.

Chris

Crusty Old Shellback
08/25/2004, 12:30 PM
Dean, from looking at the pick, i'd say it's all solid wood. I can't see any evidence of edge banding, just some 45 miters and some trim.
Chris, I don't think its stained, it looks like any other red oak that I've worked with. I know if you clear coat it it is lighter than if you oil it and this looks like a clear coat which would make sense since it's in a wet enviroment.

Mr.Lloyd
08/25/2004, 02:09 PM
I would test a piece and use a sanding sealer first.You might have a clear lacquer finish.

Anthony8858
08/25/2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. guys.

I brought a piece down to the local lumber yard.
Turns out that's white your typical red oak. I bought a few pieces, and I'll post a picture of my project ASAP.

Anthony8858
08/25/2004, 10:13 PM
Here's a pic of the hood I just created to hold my lights. (I still have to clear coat it)
Tomorrow, I'll be mounting MH/VHO lights in the upper half, allowing my lights to be about 8 inches off the water.

This setup allows me to remove the entire upper half, and still give me normal access to my tank.

The whole project cost me about 20.00.

Thanks for your help.

http://home.earthlink.net/~achiusano/images/hood.jpg