PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop Pipes

clownfish4
08/24/2004, 08:58 PM
I have four closed loop holes in the bottom of my tank, so there are pipes running up the back wall and have 90 degree elbows on the top. I didn't silicone these together and am worrie that they will shoot off. I am using a mag 9.5 to power both loops. Should I seal them, or is it ok?

Ernest T. Bass
08/24/2004, 09:19 PM
I would imagine that you have bulkheads in the holes in the bottom. Why not put a union fitting after the bulkhead and the run eithet PVC or spaflex up to where you pplace that elbow. I would seal allthe connections with PVC glue to keep Murphy at bay. With the union, you can take the return off the tank if needed. Maybe put a ball valve there to keep the water in the tank when the loop is opened.

clownfish4
08/24/2004, 09:23 PM
I don't want to put pvc glue on pvc that is in the tank! All I am talking about is the elbows, I have everything else taken care of.

mygreengoldfish
08/24/2004, 09:35 PM
If it worries you, then you probably do something about it. As long as it stayed tight and showed no signs of leaks or salt creep I wouldn't worry.
PVC glue might leak a little bit of chemicals but if you let it dry completely and flush water through it, I don't think any will get in your water. You could also use under water epoxy that is made for aquaiums. You just mix it on a piece of paper, put it on the pvc and insert it into the elbow.