PDA

View Full Version : brand new here

tirtguyll
08/22/2004, 04:36 PM
how would i go about cycling a 10 gallon with only a few pounds lr (or none) and non-live sand? remember im completely new to sw and need instruction.(also is it possible to cycle without any lr+ls?)please answer ant thanks to all that do.

cwponds
08/22/2004, 04:44 PM
Is this going to be a reef tank or fish only?

WaterKeeper
08/22/2004, 04:48 PM
Hi Turtle

LR is more or less the foundation of maintaining a modern reef tank. You can go and use a wet/dry or biowheel but you are limiting yourself pretty much to a fish only tank.

If you do go that route it is best to get some water from someone with an established reef tank to at least get a good bactria culture to start your tank. Then add a small cocktail shrimp and when the ammonia and nitrite levels fall to zero you have a cycled tank. It will take at least a week for this to happen and much longer if you don't get water from a running marine system.

Good luck.

tirtguyll
08/22/2004, 06:10 PM
ok, i was going fish only in the first place so thats all good. the only question is how big is the shrimp (inches, cm, mm. anything) and will sw from my lfs have enough bacteria in it? (im thinking 1 gallon of water, if this isnt enough what is?) thanks again. if anyone else wants to say anything more that would be fine.

35gallonhex
08/22/2004, 06:14 PM
do a search on it:D :D :D

welcome to RC