PDA

View Full Version : Heater Exploded

digordiex
08/22/2004, 02:19 AM
As im sitting here reading the boards I hear a loud popping sound and then a funny burning smell filled the air, again another pop seconds later, everything goes silent on my tank. Good thing i was still up or it could have been disasterous. I jump up and shut off all my valves under the tank only to see my heater glowing and sparking in my sump. The heater is only 6 weeks old (Aqurium Systems VISI-THERM 300w 115v-60w VTX 300). I immediately unpluged it and started to remove it, well that was disastor in itself, glass was everywhere in my sump it broke in several piece's. Needless to say this is the last Heater i buy from them and they will be hearing from me about this. Overall damage is unknown seeing this just happened about 30 min ago. Fish seem to be out and about and water still seems to be clear, and doesn't smell of burning fish. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

labyrinthian
08/23/2004, 01:35 PM
I had the same experience with their 50W Visitherm a couple of months ago. It left a nasty smell, but no damage to the tank. They will replace it for free, but i agree about wanting to find a new reasonably priced heater that won't shatter. Other than the shatter, it did keep my target temperature better than any of the other one's I've used.

slave-of-rock
08/23/2004, 01:39 PM
maby get a titanium heater instead of a glass one, no chance of those shattering

dbrown
08/23/2004, 01:51 PM
Ebo's never cracked for me and I've accidentally run them dry and dropped them into cold tanks more times than I can count. They give off a nice hiss though ;)

whiirly
08/23/2004, 06:15 PM
im with kaz

slave-of-rock
08/23/2004, 06:59 PM
OMG!!! someone actually agrees with me!! i gotta put this in a book!

Dz99ls
08/23/2004, 07:52 PM
we have had this happen as well really sucked after a wc everthing made it except we lost most of our fox coral only 3 polps survied

Biodragen
08/24/2004, 07:35 AM
I have had those same heater burst on me. I went through 4 of them in a year. I had them around not in use. 2 burned out and 1 broke in the sump and 1 broke in my mixing tank.
I was lucky enough to be around for all of them that had broke.
The glass ones are sensitive and the slightest bump and they will break.
I since then have moved over to titanium heaters. Never had an issue with them but you do have to keep the clean and free of rust. Yes they will rust.

Brian