PDA

View Full Version : FS-Kenya Tree, please take!

mhurley
08/20/2004, 02:17 PM
I need this guy gone, he's getting too close to my acro nana.
He's rooted pretty deep in this rock and I don't know much about soft corals, can you just snip off at the base?

Here's what he looked like when I first got him 8 months ago:

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.hurley/kenyaold.jpg

Here's what he is today:

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.hurley/kenya.jpg

I'd love to get some nice SPS frag or a small clam in trade or I'll take $40 just to get him gone.

ostrow
08/20/2004, 02:22 PM
Good luck ridding your tank of that! Not that it's a pest, but snipping isn't likely to do the job, though it may. But likely you'll get more sprouts from inside that rock.

And anyway, you call THAT close????

Highlander
08/20/2004, 02:23 PM
Mike, if you snip it off at the base, it will be back in a month!
IME, you will need to chisel it off with the attached rock, then burn the houses and plough salt into the fields. Ok skip the last two. :D.

mhurley
08/20/2004, 02:31 PM
I was planning on snipping it off to the lucky buyer, then emptying a syringe of kalk onto the base. Trust me...I know it's a pest. I've got little baby capnella's in about 4 places around my tank. This tank is 8' long and the babies are all over the place.

If nobody wants it, I may just have to snip and dump him. I feel bad, but I never wanted it in the first place, it came on a piece of rock I bought.

ostrow
08/20/2004, 02:33 PM
The snip and kalk ought to work. But the problem is the concentration of kalk you'd have to use. I presume you would do that out of the tank and leave the rock out for a while.

Highlander
08/20/2004, 02:47 PM
The kalk isn't guaranteed, these guys are like cockroaches.
If you are willing to remove then replace the SPS on the rock, snip, microwave "on high for 2 minutes" and reapply SPS to nicely warmed and softie free rock. It works, just don't let your wife know :)

Oh God, here come the cruelty to softies police !!!

ostrow
08/20/2004, 02:49 PM
And the smell will be so minor, I am sure the wife will NEVER figure it out.

Highlander
08/20/2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by ostrow
And the smell will be so minor, I am sure the wife will NEVER figure it out.

Just bring home Korean takeaway that day :)
Mmmmm!! Kimchee and Kenya Tree

misery
08/20/2004, 03:19 PM
bwhahah

kimchee!

Honestly, I'd just frag it to the bitter end, and sell them, fifteen bucks post-paid on the general forum.. - You'll make about a ten buck profit off each frag - then, you could get yourself a nice, big clam with the proceeds!

mhurley
08/20/2004, 03:45 PM
After what ostrow just went though?...no thanks. :D

misery
08/20/2004, 04:28 PM
Oh! I didn't know that he had a bad time.. I thought that he just came up nicely!

goat585
08/20/2004, 06:31 PM
Sent you a pm

Thanks

Tom

liz3
08/20/2004, 09:09 PM
If you need to get rid of it, I don't keep sps and currently don't plan on it. I bought some kenya from owtrow that disappeared, same with the xenia he sold me. I know people think both are a pest, but not me, I like both.