PDA

View Full Version : algea with air bubbles in it?

jwheeler
08/20/2004, 12:17 PM
I have algea that has been growing on my powerhead, filter, and one live rock, that looks like a purple slimey coating that looks like hair flowing out of it, but it looks like there is air bubbles trapped inside it, I've never seen these before this past week. I cleaned one off and it was like water inside the bubbles, like water blister people get. Any idea what this is and how to control it?

I tried taking picture, but all of my digital camera pictures always come out huge, and don't know how to shrink them or maybe need better software.

Thanks

jwheeler
08/20/2004, 12:23 PM
I just seen a picture on Melv's reef site that it is Red slime algea or cyno something bacteria.

It says to reduce phosphates and nitrates. I have a phosphate reducing pouch in my filter, that must not be doing anything.

Anything to do to reduce nitrates besides water change?

Phillycsi
08/20/2004, 12:34 PM
It may be dinoflagellates...You can do a search for threads on it.
I believe that it can be pretty tough to get rid of.

ReelBigFish
08/20/2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by jwheeler
I just seen a picture on Melv's reef site that it is Red slime algea or cyno something bacteria.

It says to reduce phosphates and nitrates. I have a phosphate reducing pouch in my filter, that must not be doing anything.

Anything to do to reduce nitrates besides water change?

Try this:

Physically remove all the red slime you can by hand. Buy the Ultralife Brand Red Slime Remover. Follow the directions on the box (repeat if necessary). Turn OFF YOUR SKIMMER.

Let the medication work for the indicated time and then do a 20% water change to remove it.

The way you keep stuff like that from growing is to have good water movement. Red slime hates water flow so if you have dead spots, try to remove them. Also, certain hermits love to eat that stuff so you may want to try that too. Good luck.

cwponds
08/20/2004, 02:29 PM
bubbles in algae does sound like dinoflagellates.

mnewsome
08/20/2004, 03:31 PM
I got a phosphate remover for mine as well for a similar problem. I've had it running through my filter for about a month and it has finally started to do some real good. Maybe you should give it a little more time to start helping.