PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience: Deep Sea aka Pet Paradise

lebowski
08/18/2004, 11:10 PM
I must say I am quite dissapointed in this petshop.. It's located in Downer's Grove...

My 2 friends and I biked over there (20 mile trip) to check it out.. I had the pleasure of arriving at the time he got his new shipments in... So here's my story..

Not only did the owner ( big dude ) acclimate any of the corals, he also barely acclimated the fish.. he accomplished this task by dumping all the fish in a styrofoam container and letting an airline tube feed into it ( No drip ).. When I asked him about the "non-acclimation" procedure he was committing on the corals, I got a response, " Corals don't need to be acclimated." The thing that shocked me the most is when he just threw in an anemone to a tank already crammed with dead percs.

Bummer, he got in some super nice blue monti caps that I would have purchased if he would've acclimated...

To top this off, the prices there are sort of ridiculous and his stock is just crammed.. 4-5 angels in one little cubicle... The place is so un-organized looking...

That's just my experience, my two friends don't have much better to share..

Pitiful.

RandalB
08/18/2004, 11:57 PM
Hmmm. Maybe time for me to be branded as a heretic, But I've never acclimated anything for my 54 Gallon Reef or Nanoreef. I don't acclimate discus either. I'm not defending the pet shop owner or anything (I've never even been there..) and I definately don't agree with overcrowding and tanks full of dead fish; But I've never lost a single fish, Shrimp, Coral, Crab or snail due to the "Grab and Plop" Method.

There is actually some logic behind it: The pH in bag water drops due to animal respiration rendering the ammonia it produces less toxic. Slow trickle acclimation raises the pH again, making the built up ammonia more toxic again and stressing the organism. The ammonia also causes burns, etc. The "Grab and Plop" method removes the organism from what has essentially become a toilet to clean water immediately. The Differing water parameters are less stressful than ammonia. Granted, I wouldn't dump them into a tank where they will be picked on by others, but I've taken everything I've ever purchased or had shipped to me and dumped it right into a QT tank without any kind of acclimation. Like I said above absolutely no losses at all from doing this method.

Sorry to jump off on a tangent on your thread here lebowski but I've always wondered what people would think about this.

RandalB

Doubledown
08/19/2004, 12:02 AM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

I have been to Pet Paradise on several occasions and have always enjoyed talking with Jeff (aka "the big dude"). He has been patient with my newbie questions and extremely helpful in the progress of my reefkeeping skills. As he is the new owner of the establishment, the organization of the store is in full progress.

I too had questioned the amount of livestock he has in his holding tanks, and although there are many - they seem to be some of, if not the, healthiest looking fish on a whole as I've seen anywhere in the NW suburbs. His selection of fish is extensive and I am told his corals will be increased as well. I shall be buying many items from him in the future.

clwnphish
08/19/2004, 06:45 AM
Lebowski dont expect to get much service there. Teens always get second to the adults. Ask a question and i've always got a short snappy response back. Their fish do look good, but how can you guys recomend the place? Their corals are terrible and they keep anemones under terrible lighting. A while ago i was in and was playing dumb... they tried to sell me a dead sps skeleton....real good store....:lol:

Clwn

makoshark
08/19/2004, 08:01 AM
I too have witnessed the zero acclimation at Pet Paradise. I sold them some mounted frags and watched them pop & drop them right in. I bought a yellow leather from them and figured if they didn't acclimate it into their tank I probably don't need to acclimate it into mine. WRONG! It decintigrated within 48 hrs. I knew better but tried it anyway. I always acclimate now. RandalB, interesting arguement but I'm not going to try it too much at stake.

lebowski
08/19/2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the input guys..

If you decide not to acclimate your corals, fish etc. then that's your choice.. I'll stick to the better method and make sure my inhabitants make a low stress entrance to their new home.

clwnphish- Yeah, tell me about it.. He had in this MARVELOUS H.Magnifica.. Put into a cubicle, NO lighting NO FLOW.. I'm sure he didn't acclimate either..

Some people's experiences are different.. That place was nowhere that I would shop at.. or an experienced hobbysit should be looking for his stock.. Sure Jeff ( big dude ) is nice.. He was super nice when I talked to him... until I questioned his methods, got back the worst responses ever...

And about overcrowding, yes, he's keeping way too large of fish in these cubicals.. and more than just a couple.

Keep them coming.:)

Highlander
08/19/2004, 11:57 AM
I have bought almost all of my fish from what was Pet Paradise, they have all proved to be long lived and healthy.

BTW, the big dude, is also a chemistry teacher, and a highly experienced keeper of delicate butterfly fish amongst other species. I am sure that he is aware of the impact of "non acclimating the stock" and since he owns the store, would be unlikely to kill off what he just paid for.

Ref the lighting for the corals. I am sure that you noticed the huge acrylic SPS and clam trough that they are going to install, under halides.
The store has been under new management for only a couple of weeks, and Jeff seems to have a lot of great improvements planned.
I'd say give the guy a chance.
Just MHO.

jor8888
08/19/2004, 01:35 PM
What is the big fuzz about acclimation? I dont acclimate corals but I do use dripping method on fishes but some still die afterward for no reason. I dont think most petshop owners got time to acclimate their fishes when they get tons of shipment everyweek.

criccio
08/19/2004, 05:16 PM
Lebowski, were you there about 3:30 on Monday? I remember seeing three kids on bikes rollin' up about then.

Of the few times I've happen to be in LFS (Petland-Naperville, Scott's, Tropi-quatics) when they have received shipments I have never seen any of them acclimate beyond temperature.

Chiming in with Highlander, I think Jeff is a nice guy and certainly knows his stuff, and seems to be improving the store continually. I do agree that some of the livestock is packed in so hopefully he'll increase his saltwater capacity. He does get bonus points since he seems to be a clownfish/anemone fan. Hopefully he'll keep stocking the rarer stuff.

lebowski
08/19/2004, 07:31 PM
Lebowski, were you there about 3:30 on Monday? I remember seeing three kids on bikes rollin' up about then.

Haha... Yes, that would be me and my two friends.. One is a member of this board... Were you in the store?

From what I experienced I'd say that he needs much more improvement.. I mean, I'd just do things differently.. It is sure a HUGE let down when the guy is just plopping fish in tanks right from the bag in front of you...

I bought a bicolor blenny from him, I think I might have just introduced ich to the tank.. I'm still examining my fish..

Remorarules
08/21/2004, 01:58 AM
I absolutely love pet paradise. I bought a Supermale Lineatus Fairy wrasse and a Labouti fairy wrasse from him on Friday. Excellent specimens!! I have bought 90% of my fish from him and haven't lost anything. I never acculimate my corals. I just Throw them right in. Haven't lost any corals that way. Jeff knows his stuff. he gets in some of the most rare stuff that any of these other LFS in the area don't get in. Jeff did also say he is gonna do a SPS tank with halides. His partner also is very informative on the hobby. His fish are a little pricey but very healthy!!

lebowski
08/21/2004, 04:13 PM
I guess I'm not up to date on the new, "Don't acclimate corals" fad going on.

This is odd.. I'm starting a poll here.