PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Sumps

LIReefer
08/18/2004, 07:00 PM
Has anybody used these acrylic tanks made by twinoaks(glasscages) for sumps? The cost seems right for use as a sump, but I'm concerned about the build quality.

http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Aquariums_Acrylic-Aquariums_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

Ed

Amphibious
08/18/2004, 11:42 PM
I believe these were being offered at the IMAC show in Chicago. They travel around with a semi load of them and sell out of the back of it.

IMHO, (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION)!!! I state that in CAPS so you understand this is not a slam but my opinion!!!

I think you will be very disapointed in the thickness of the material and the quality of the workmanship. I looked them over and personally would not buy one for any reason. Acrylic workmanship of this type should not be incouraged by purchasing especially site unseen.

The last thing you need is a sump seam splitting, correct? I'm not saying that would happen but, it's a likelyhood with poor quality.

I have been in the hobby for 57 years and have used Acrylic aquariums exclusively since 1974. I've done retail, wholesale, installation/maintenance and Internet sales all with Acrylic aquariums. This is just to let you know I have experience to back up my opinion.

You get what you pay for in this world. If you want cheap, you are going to get less than what you expect.

Again, this is strictly my humble opinion!

Reefmaniac1
08/19/2004, 04:44 AM
Listen to Amphibious...his advice is always right-on.

LIReefer
08/19/2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

That's exactly what I was worried about - a split seam. It's not worth the risk at any price!

Thanks - Ed

Acrylics
08/19/2004, 10:47 AM
Hi Ed,
Just to add onto what Amphibious said already; GlassCages acrylic is 1/4" extruded Lucite CP, not that it's a bad material for many purposes but not adviseable for aquaria and they won't go any thicker. I can't say how good/bad their fabrication is but if the material is any indication...
I guess I'll wait 'til MACNA to see for myself if they are there.

James

LIReefer
08/19/2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks James,

I'm going to send you and e-mail tonight for you to price me 2 sumps.

Ed