PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer opinion?

misery
08/18/2004, 09:06 AM
Hi everybody!

I've recently outgrown my skimmer - It pulls nice skimmate, but only after its diffuser settles in, and then it slowly declines.. creating a three week cycle, of which only about ten days produces good skimmate.

So, I'm graduatin' to the "serious skimmer" class.

Here's what I've been looking at. (http://www.precisionmarine.com/html/hot-1_.html)

I don't have a sump on my tank- I live in a studio apartment, so my tank is in my sleeping and everything else area. My tank is tempered, so drilling is out of the question, so sumpage won't be happening at least until I move into a one-bedroom place.

Anyhow, Has anybody had any experiance with this unit? I may be able to purchase two used models, Which will double my cleaning, but will also boost it's redundancy..

jjjimmy
08/18/2004, 09:10 AM
I am not sure about the hot+1 skimmer you are looking at, but, I have always been very happy with Precision Marine equiptment and exceptional customer service.

Presently I am usein a PM CR422 calcium reactor an a bullet-2 skimmer and love them both.

misery
08/18/2004, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I had never seen the hot+1 skimmer before.. I guess it's new? I figure the same as you- it's an excellent company, and I think I'll like doing buisness with them.

kellypark
08/18/2004, 11:26 AM
Remora pro might be good choice also, however since your tank is same area as where you sleep, it might be little noisy..
I have remora pro, it dose good job but you can hear spray sound.

Biodragen
08/21/2004, 10:07 PM
MY REEF CREATIONS
or a PM skimmer

misery
08/21/2004, 11:52 PM
I got the PM skimmer.. Bought it used and it had the rio replaced with a maxi-jet; and a drain installed on the collection cup. Got it at less than half price, if you consider that I was planning on doing those modifications before it hit tank :D

Less than twelve hours later, I've got 3/4 inch of dark skimmate in the bottom of an old vinegar bottle. I couldn't be happier with it!!

sdebol
09/10/2004, 09:30 PM
The HOT-1+ is not new--I've had one on my 75g for about two years. I've been very happy with its performance, however, make sure you keep an eye on the venturi intake and flush it if salt crystals accumulate in it (often, all you need to do is unplug it for a few seconds and the small amount of water that draws into the air line will dissolve the salt). If it clogs, it will create a siphon and make a mess. PM sells a waste collection cannister with a siphon break in it. I highly recommend it!

Steve