PDA

View Full Version : mantis problems

zonco
08/17/2004, 11:59 AM
Has anybody every had a mantis and traped it and know a way of building a trap to catch it , because well for a while know I have been hearing a suttle snap pop or whatever u might call it sound in my tank, and have also lost a few fish and seem to find them dead or not at all like they have disapeared . Please any help or trick to catch this little PUNK would be awesome.

Everybody thank you .

ny_jets
08/17/2004, 01:32 PM
Take a one liter plastic soda bottle ..Cut off the top about 3 inches down then put the top inside the bottom so it looks like the top is funneling into the bottom part of the bottle. Put a piece of deli shrimp in the bottom of the bottle lay it on its side .the mantis crawls into the bottle thru the top and then cant get out . I hope you understand this kind of hard to explain .But if you do it correctly it works ...Good luck

zonco
08/17/2004, 01:38 PM
I will give it a try , and keep ya posted .

slave-of-rock
08/17/2004, 03:20 PM
id be intrerested in taking him from you if you catch him, plz dont kill him, fdrop me a pm if you get him thnx
kyle kaz, o and what burb are you in?

MARSHALL MANN
08/17/2004, 07:17 PM
if somebody wants to post a pic for me i will show you what a real mantis shrimp looks like !!!

MM

slave-of-rock
08/17/2004, 08:24 PM
ill post a pic for you, email it to me or somethin, unles its in your gallery

misery
08/18/2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by MARSHALL MANN
if somebody wants to post a pic for me i will show you what a real mantis shrimp looks like !!!

MM

That's not a mantis shrimp.. dat's a lobster!

zonco
08/18/2004, 11:44 AM
My cousin who lives with me said he saw it once and it looked clear with a brownish tint to it . He explained its movement as if it was hiding underneath a rock slietly then grabed a piece of shrimp and backpeddled into the underside of the rock. I have never seen it but. I can quess that the pair of queen anthias I hade where killed by it and so was my mandarin, which I found after looking around in the tank under a rock in one piece , it looked like it had been beaten. Or was being saved by its captor. I never found any trace of the anthias so ? But I would diffiently bet that I have some kind of hitchhicker in the tank somewhere

slave-of-rock
08/18/2004, 01:05 PM
did he say how big it was?

lclau
08/18/2004, 03:10 PM
I can get some of those that are about 6 inches in length. I've never desired them though :) I saw 2 last time about the size of large lobster tails.....mmmmm.

slave-of-rock
08/18/2004, 03:14 PM
id be interested in one, where do you get them from?

misery
08/18/2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by lclau
I can get some of those that are about 6 inches in length. I've never desired them though :) I saw 2 last time about the size of large lobster tails.....mmmmm.

I've heard that they are quite the treat in some places.

slave-of-rock
08/20/2004, 12:38 PM
heres the pic for you guys, straight from MM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62451mini-mini-PhotoImpression4__2_.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62451mini-MANTIS_GROUP_10011.jpg

MARSHALL MANN
08/20/2004, 11:27 PM
thanks kaz

MM

franning
08/21/2004, 01:48 AM
LOL mm that one big mantis that I hope the one in 55 don't get that big :-)

slave-of-rock
08/22/2004, 03:36 PM
np mm, nice mantis!

MARSHALL MANN
08/22/2004, 08:25 PM
thanks

liz3
08/22/2004, 10:33 PM
Who's up for garlic, butter, and bbq, bring them all on. I know mm is eating size.

mhurley
08/22/2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks MM....
No sleep for me tonight after seeing that bug-eyed beast. I'm sure I'll be hearing snapping noises all night now......

MARSHALL MANN
08/23/2004, 10:41 AM
lol

mhurley
08/23/2004, 11:15 AM
As expected...I slept like crud last night...thanks again.

MARSHALL MANN
08/23/2004, 12:02 PM
mike if your worried about any mantis shrimps in your tank
you can always throw a ocotopus in , he will hunt them down and snack on them

slave-of-rock
08/23/2004, 12:36 PM
lol very true, but i just got WOKEN up by my mom because i had a hangover from ozzfest and i didnt even drink do any drugs!!!

dlancz
08/30/2004, 02:30 AM
zonco,

Any luck catching the mantis yet?

zonco
08/30/2004, 02:17 PM
Nope haven't caught any thing so far haven't really been trying lately . I'm not quiting yet if that answers your question.

zonco
09/13/2004, 10:52 AM
http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pics/smit2rc.htm this is my new pet that I found . He's a smasher alright , just put him in a 10 gallon tank with my serpant star and a couple of hermits , he's doin great will post pics soon.

ivyvine1
09/13/2004, 02:54 PM
zonco,

I did a search and found this thread. I am having the same problem!! I recently upgraded to a 90gal and added more LR. I wish there was some kind of a scanner for these guys. I never would have thought I would end up with one ..... always the other guy, right??

I am hearing clicking noises and 3 fish have recently disappeared: One large anthias (I noticed you lost 2) and 2 purple fish (they were a mated pair) :( ...... also lost 2 shrimp, one clearner and one fire.

How did you catch yours?? Did you use the bottle trap ?? Can you PLEASE give me all the details of your trap and what bait you used. How many days did it take ?? I don't want to loose any more fish!! :(

THANK YOU ......

slave-of-rock
09/13/2004, 06:37 PM
hey if u catch him can u mail him to me? just normal mail cuz i really dont think you care about if it dies or not.. thnx
kyle kaz

zonco
09/13/2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by ivyvine1
zonco,

I did a search and found this thread. I am having the same problem!! I recently upgraded to a 90gal and added more LR. I wish there was some kind of a scanner for these guys. I never would have thought I would end up with one ..... always the other guy, right??

I am hearing clicking noises and 3 fish have recently disappeared: One large anthias (I noticed you lost 2) and 2 purple fish (they were a mated pair) :( ...... also lost 2 shrimp, one clearner and one fire.

How did you catch yours?? Did you use the bottle trap ?? Can you PLEASE give me all the details of your trap and what bait you used. How many days did it take ?? I don't want to loose any more fish!! :(

THANK YOU ...... First I'll start out by saying how wierd in general it is that you lost almost the same kind of fish that i did . I lost a peppermint shrimp though and thank god I didn't lose my fire shrimp , really sorry to here about your fire .
Well I was really lucky 2 catch mine I saw him in a rock that had pretty much nothing on it so I picked it up out of the tank and put him in a bucket . Took a while to get him 0ut finely I had too get pliers out and break the rock and out he came , now he;s in a 10 gallon tank .
Before this i did try to trap him I took A 1 liter coke bottle and cut it in half on the shorter end with the spout. then stuck the end with the spout backwards into the larger end of the bottle so if he entered the bottle and fell threw the spout back into the bottle he would have a hard time getting out . Good luck I would use a live astrea snail or somthing live I just used a piece of krill didn't work but i noticed today in my mantis tank he payed attention to the snail wherever it was so I tell u loosing one snail would be better than 2-3 more fish . Good luck

ivyvine1
09/13/2004, 10:54 PM
zonco,

Thanks for your reply. You were real lucky to see where he was hiding out, I have been watching the tank closely day and night but can't see anything unusual YET. I did the bottle trap again tonight, but also see my favorite clown gobies swimming and sniffing too close to the bottle :( . I used a frozen piece of scallop ..... guess I will see what I catch tomorrow morning.

Thanks AGAIN for your reply!
Irene

mope54
09/16/2004, 06:53 PM
I just lost my fifth fire shrimp.

And a mandarin.

And a blue reef chromis.

This is ridiculous.

zonco
09/16/2004, 08:27 PM
I hope u find the petsy bastard , all I can say is keep looking thats the best advice I can give .

slave-of-rock
09/16/2004, 08:56 PM
if anyone has one im very willin to take it!! thnx
kyle kaz

franning
09/17/2004, 02:18 PM
I tried the bottle trap and I end up trapping my fire shrimp :-( ...

Maybe I should just spear the dang Mantis. I always see him starring at me and he is getting pretty big :-{ .........
- a barbeque stick with a sewing needle might do the trick ...

liz3
09/17/2004, 11:12 PM
frnning, I think you have the right idea!!! I have never had a hitchhiker like that, I guess I am lucky.

slave-of-rock
09/17/2004, 11:32 PM
you think that your lucky that you didnt have one, and on my next lr order im hoping i do get one lol, i guess great minds DONT think alike :lol: