PDA

View Full Version : iodine dip

Explorer
08/16/2004, 02:11 AM
just wondering if anyone give their xenia a iodine dip before putting them in their tank to prevent/reduce the chance of unwanted threats.

The reason I ask, because a friend give me a rubble with zoos, some sps frags, and xenia attach on it. His tank has one/two sps colony that has signs of RTN. So I am wondering if I can dip the xenia. I know the sps and zoos on that rubble will be fine.

Thanks

EricHugo
08/22/2004, 09:31 AM
#1 - prophylactic dips of corals are probably a bad idea.

#2 - Why would you assume that if there is some pathogen involved, that it would be on Xenia, but not on live rock or other substrates?

romunov
08/22/2004, 01:52 PM
I think you should quarantine it, not dippy-doo-daa. :P

EricHugo
08/23/2004, 07:56 AM
I agree

Explorer
08/24/2004, 03:56 AM
Well I end up didn't dip, just that my instinct tell me that is probably not a good idea.

The reason I post this is because since bunch of thiings on on the same rock, I can't just dip one of the things. So was just want to make sure if it is ok.

Do really appreciate all the responses.

THank you all.

MiddletonMark
08/24/2004, 06:37 AM
What do you mean to dip, and why?

Unless there is a specific thing you are treating, an iodine dip is going to just kill `unspecific' bacteria on your coral.

Some of this may be beneficial bacteria, some may be the bacteria the coral `farms' for energy ... which iodine dipping may kill some or lots of.

I can sympathize with wanting to proactively prevent pests, but `RTN' could be so many things, bacterial possibly one of them.
You could also cut off the stony coral that looks like that, frag off the bad parts, and remount in the same or new place. IMO less severe than a dip.

Just my take on the situation. Please feel free to believe and do as you wish :)

Explorer
08/24/2004, 12:21 PM
appreciate the thought.....like you said I was just tring to protect my other corals/animals in my tank already that cost me lots of money.

as for doing what i believe/wish....if I want to do that, it wouldn't be necessary for me to post here and ask than....we are all here to learn and improve on our skills

:)