PDA

View Full Version : flow rate on toadstool

Theo
10/18/2001, 10:58 AM
Hi everybody!! Just wondering what the majority of people say because I've heard conficting opinions. Does a toadstool leather coral, in your experience, enjoy a low medium or high flow rate. thanks in andance.

Hammer
10/18/2001, 11:08 AM
ALL of them.
I have a retrun line that flows above my large toadstool, and a powersweep that flows about 1 1/2" to 2" above the toadstool, the current from the powersweep interrupts the flow from the return line (that doesn't directly hit the leather at all). But the disruption washes the toadstool in constantly changing currents. And it loves it. It has grown well, and has the best polyp extension with this method for me. It might take a bit for it to get used to it. And you might want to have something like the powersweep (or the variable return of sorts) come on with your lights to let the toadstool rest at night.

newkie
10/18/2001, 11:46 AM
I would vote for low(180gph) to medium-low(300gph). I'm sure it could adapt to higher, but I've found mine expands best with gentle current. HTH

Niven
10/18/2001, 12:10 PM
Alternating heavy current. Mine is directly in front of a Maxi-jet 120, about 7 inches, that is on a wave maker. It did seem to expand larger when it didn't get the current, but now it drops frags on a weekly basis:) I think the higher flow helps it shed.
HTH,
Gareth

darcitananda
10/18/2001, 01:19 PM
seems to be good for mine. if I keep them in lower flow, and I stir up the tank and sediment falls on them, they do the waxing thing. Therefore, I think moderate current is best for keeping them clean (and fully extended).