PDA

View Full Version : cycling levels

cusweatin
08/14/2004, 12:00 AM
my 200 has been up for two weeks now. It was started with ro/di water,150lbs of cured live rock,and seaflor substrate.

tested tonight not looking good so far i figured with all cured rock and ro water i wouldnt get so high of levels

amm..... .06
nitrite .10
nitrate .00
ph 8.2
sg 1.023

equipment 60 gallon rubbermaid sump
genx pcx40 return pump
6 maxijet 1200s two wavemakers

i understand it needs to cycle however i refuse to use fish to cycle it i feel its cruel

the rock came with about 20 turbo snails and now im finding hermits
all of the inverts are alive and doing well i didnt think they could handle those kind of ammonia levels. The only test kit i have until my saliferts get here is made by fastest. Is it possible since the kit is about a year and a half old that it could be way off?

also what do u reccomend my next step be to get this thing cycling im in no rush at all i want this tank to be pristine

msn711
08/14/2004, 01:52 AM
If I were you, I would just wait it out, and do weekly 5-10% water changes. The cycle's already started, so it's really just a matter of time for it to finish up.

Chino
08/14/2004, 02:23 AM
From what Ive learned so far here on RC, 2 weeks is about 1/3 way through the cycle. Parameters seem normal and obvioulsy the cycle has started. I think your at the point where amms going down and trites are going to spike. Wait it out like i did i guess. Only way I can think of to speed your cycle up is about 50 more lbs for LR? Dont know if you want to do that but just dont use the additives that speed the cycle up from what Ive heard. I have no patience whatsoever so it was very hard for me. Good luck.