PDA

View Full Version : Tank running toooo hot... help

eggy5404
08/12/2004, 08:15 PM
Hi All,
For some reason, my tank is running about 5 degrees hotter than the house temp. My current house temp is 82 degrees and my tank is constantly running about 87-88 degrees.

I have the standard florestant lights. I'm thinking that I might have some power issues with the power heads. I unpluged 2 out of the 4 of them to see if this is a problem.

Has anyone ever had issues with p/h running the tank hot? I can't figure out what else could be the problem. The return pump is in the sump and the only things in the main tank are the power heads

The fish are all doing fine but I need to get my tank down to 82 degrees.

Thanks for any suggestions

md0485
08/12/2004, 08:22 PM
I had the same problem.. i had to go buy a new light thats for marine fish.. also it helps the fish out plus the corals.. evcer since i bought the new light.. my temp stays the same..i would go to my lfs and ask them which one would be best for ya.. you'll have to tell them what u have and what u might want in the future..

leheath
08/12/2004, 08:33 PM
My understanding (which may be somewhat limited as I am a relative newbie too...), is that all the electrical equipment in your water - tank and sump (ie. powerheads and pumps) - transfer heat to the system. Therefore, your 4 powerheads and return pump are all transferring heat to the tank and raising the temp above the room ambient temp. From what I have read, one of the easiest ways to get the temp back down is to add a fan blowing across your sump to increase evaporation which will lower the temp (but require more top-off water). With only NO lighting over the tank, I doubt these are the main problem as they shouldn't put out that much heat (compared to other lighting systems), but if they are enclosed and close to the water, they may also be adding to your problem.

Hope that helps

sherm71tank
08/12/2004, 09:06 PM
FYI cheap power heads seem to add more heat and be less efficient than better ones. What kind of PH are you running? Also try blowing a fan across the surface of the water in your tank or sump.

medik13
08/12/2004, 09:13 PM
You need fans...Put a couple in the canopy and a 7" fan blowing over your sump!

cmulawka
08/12/2004, 09:48 PM
fansfansfansfansfansfansfans they worked for me.

Paul79936
08/12/2004, 10:01 PM
Sounds like you need more ventilation. How elaborate you get depends on you, but if you have a small tank and evaporation is not a problem, install a water top off system and run fans blowing on the surface of the water. Just set your heater to the desired temp and let it's thermostat control the tanks temp.

This will have the heater and fans working against each other sometimes(hence the large increase in top off water), but it is cheap and reliable. If you spend more, you can get a thermostatic controller to turn the fans on and off.

Or, get a chiller, or turn your thermostat down, or get a window unit for your tank room.

Neptune's Nemesis
08/13/2004, 12:51 AM
If you have a canopy add fans but if you have a glass lid take it off and throw it away.

sherm71tank
08/13/2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Paul79936
Sounds like you need more ventilation.

This will have the heater and fans working against each other sometimes(hence the large increase in top off water),

Just a bit of planning will avoid having fans and a heater working against each other. My fan comes on at 83 degrees and goes off at 80 degrees on a Rancho controller. My Pro Heat digital heater controller comes on at 78 degrees and goes off at 80. The heater just about never comes on it the summer and vice versa for the fan in winter.

SDRotary619
08/13/2004, 01:35 AM
You wouldn't happen to be running a mag 7/9.5/ect style return pump would you? I use one and it keeps my tank warm at night with the lights off, and I only have 1 ph running other than it.

SOMEthinsFISHY
08/13/2004, 05:13 AM
do not throw glass top away cut it up in pieces for future refigiums !! GRIN i never throw glass out .

eggy5404
08/13/2004, 07:58 AM
Hi ,
I have a decent sized fan that is temp gauge (set to 60 degrees for cool air) running on the top of the tank which is covered by eggcrate so there is ample air running throught the tank

I also have a fan blowing on the sump and the tank still runs at the same high temp.

I do have a mag 9.5 pump for my return pump, I also shut down 3 of the mag 7 and 9 power heads and only have 1 running.

If it is the return pump is there anything I can do. Is there a better pump to run that does not give off that much heat?

Thanks All...

SOMEthinsFISHY
08/14/2004, 06:02 AM
is return pump in the sump or out ?

skinutt
08/14/2004, 09:50 AM
Just a thought, but have you checked your heater? It may be on! Eggy, is this high temp something that has just happened or has it been an on going problem this summer?

SOMEthinsFISHY
08/14/2004, 01:38 PM
yes eggy check every thing !!

Tenny
08/14/2004, 02:25 PM
Well personally whenever my tank gets above 81*f and I notice it, i throw in a few bags of ice (wrapped in 4 or so bags of ziplock bags) and float them. I used to use ice packs, but they didn't do as good of a job I noticed, they would only bring the temperature down 1-1.5*f (on a 20g tank), while a full pack of ice (quarter size bag) would bring it 2-3*f down ( depending on starting temperature). I have about 4-5 bags in my freezer, which is enough for me.

As for my it is definetly my 250w MH on top of my tank, that thing puts out heat like no other! If I'm starting to run out of ice bags, i turn the light off, and the temp comes down. I have my own canopy I built, with 3 sides closed, but one is usualy open, and 3 fans (80mm computer fans) built in. The Fan's stay on 24/7, the MH is on 10 hours, then I have 5 LED moonlights on for about 6 hours (2 hours overlapping MH).

I'll be buying a chiller soon enough though.

eggy5404
08/14/2004, 02:47 PM
Hi,
The return pump is instead of the sump. This heat issue has been happening since the summer started however the tank is constantly running higher than the temp in the house.

If it's the return pump, then I don't know what I can do. The fish are all happy but I would like to bring the temp down to under 84 degrees.

Still looking for suggestions.

SOMEthinsFISHY
08/15/2004, 04:22 AM
well for now just do what tenny does above or use fans fans fans !