PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia

billy c
08/12/2004, 05:56 PM
OK...I've had a nice system going for the last 8 months; first in a 29 gal., then moved everyone to a 55 gal. All the nitrates, nitrites, pH, etc., etc., all where they should be. No problems. Doing all the water changes, etc. Great. Super. In the next few months, we're gonna make the move to get some corals in the tank.

So, last week, we go to the LFS, and wife decides she wants to get this big piece of live rock, full of coraline algae, and has moon corals on it, but they'll sell it as 'Live Rock'. $20. Problem: it's got aptasia on it. So, the guy there says, 'get some peppermint shrimp and it'll be history...no problem." Thing was, they didn't have any in stock, but I can wait til they get some in...

Meanwhile...

...had this piece for 1 week. There was one big Aptasia, and 4 or 5 little ones. Over the last week, the Aptasia has been disappearing; now there is just 1 little one left. Not that I'm into collecting Aptasia (I realize they are a nuisance, etc.), but I'm wondering what got rid of them. I've got a bunch of Turbo Snails, Margarita snails, Nassarius snails, blue leg hermits, red leg hermits. Fish include a Firefish Goby, Royal Gramma, and Clark's Clownfish w/Anenome. I'm wondering if any of my clean-up crew went after the Aptasia...

Corals are doing fine/look OK...

Any ideas?

Konadog
08/14/2004, 04:23 PM
billy, chances are they have moved to another rock. Aptasia can move by sliding on their foot, or by releasing the rock and floating where ever the current takes them. Look around, chances are you will find them hiding under a rock, amassing an army to attack at a later date :D

billy c
08/14/2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the reply; I'll have to spend some time squinting in the crevices...

Johnnyfishkiller
08/15/2004, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately you're in for a long hard battle now. Unless the rock came complete with and aiptasia predator such as a berghia nudibranch, you can be sure to find them elsewhere in your tank.

FWIW, next time you buy a piece of rock a quarantine tank is just as good for it as it is a fish. It would allow you to find and hopefully kill the offending critters without turning them loose in your tank. It's a PITA, but keeping pest anenome's out of your tank is worth it.

billy c
08/15/2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks...

sylfish
08/15/2004, 12:07 PM
FWIW, I even found one this morning attached to some algae on the rear glass of my tank.

cook
08/15/2004, 12:13 PM
I have heard you can inject the larger ones with a syringe filled with calcium chloride. I have the same problem and have not done this because of concern with a rotting anenome in my tank. I am not sure if this would impact the nitrate level significantly.

koj11
08/16/2004, 01:21 AM
You needn't be concerned with water quality from killing aptasia. check out joesjuice.com. It's the best stuff out there for aptasia or majano anemones.

hilgert
09/11/2004, 09:11 PM
Treatment (direct) = Joe's Juice (EXCELLENT!!!)

Supression (ongoing) = Peppermint Shrimp

Elimination (almost) = Berghia Nudibranch (ONLY eats aptasia, and will die when they are gone)

You will never be rid of them, but you can suppress them (like income taxes and deductions). I use Peppermint Shrimp, and they keep it at bay. I use Joe's Juice for spot treatment.

Gary Majchrzak
09/11/2004, 09:17 PM
Great summarized list, hilgert!
Don't forget the CBB: Copperband Butterflyfish. (Suppression to elimination. Results with Aiptasia may vary.):D

hilgert
09/11/2004, 09:28 PM
#%!!%#! - I was thinking of the CBB and I forgot to put it in the post. 10 yard penalty...

I tried this once, and the poor fish croaked once the aptasia was gone. I hear it's 50/50 on getting CBB to eat.