PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock

csabo98
08/12/2004, 10:59 AM
I set up a new 58g RR system about 2 months ago and it is fully cycled with a colony of zoo's but i only started it with 15lbs of live rock. I was wondering what lfs in the chicago are sells good live rock for the best price, preferably fully cured because i don't want my tank to cycle again. I live near the south loop if there are local fish stored near there.

slave-of-rock
08/12/2004, 11:08 AM
i know living sea gets good prices if ou buy in larger quantities. im not shure exactly how the price is but they had some good porus rock at good prices last time i went, that is if your gonna buy alot, would you be interested in ordering some online? ive been neededing some lr too, get an order goin with some people?

NU Reefer
08/12/2004, 11:20 AM
Your best bet is Marshall Mann, if you want to get your stuff right away. He has GORGEOUS live rock, better than any store around here will sell you. Ask anyone who has seen it. Very reasonable prices too.

If money is a concern, let me pose this to you. Buy online for cheap, get yourself a big trash bin, fill it with salt water in your garage, plunk a powerhead or two in there, toss a light on top, and let it sit there for a month or so. You can cure the rock yourself and save big $$.

Personally I just bought a 70 lb box of tonga branch from drmaccorals.com for $3 a lb + air freight shipping. It gets in later this evening. I'll post a thread and let you all know how that is going.

BTW, off topic, Marshall's 300 starphire is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see that filled with water.

-Chris

jsbzmcdaniel
08/12/2004, 11:20 AM
I would be interested in a bulk buy as well. Let me know.

slave-of-rock
08/12/2004, 11:37 AM
im lookin into un-cured because i just got the tank salted 2 nights ago and un-cured wouldnt make a diff, im lookin into about 50lbs now, not 100 as i originaly thought, so about 150-200$ worth of LR im lookin into, anyone know anybody or got a good site to go to?