PDA

View Full Version : Refugium?

MartinH
08/11/2004, 04:25 PM
Ok, so I'm looking to set up a seahorse tank...I read some material on Seahourse.org, and I saw a suggestion that a pair of seahorses could be kept in a refugium on an existing tank? I thought this sounded a bit outrageous, but can anyone comment on this? Thanks!

monkey21
08/11/2004, 09:40 PM
i think you are talking about my thread that i posted (monkeyhorse). i had suggested on a few dwarves. i would never suggest a larger species. you have to llok at a few things when doing this though. and i had looked at them before making a final decision
the flow has to be real low
are they secured in the fuge with out being able to get in main tank
is feeding gonna be an issue
is your main tank pest free
can you observe them properly in a HOB fuge
i had found a way to make this work, but i am not sure if i want to keep dwarves agin as this main tank will be for pipefish (the pipes are already trained to forzen) and i want to be able to give them full attention. have not decided for sure but as it looks right now but i want to let everyone know that if a seahorse in a fuge is desired that you are abe to overcome the obstacles i listed as well as the ones not listed. i hope that helps

MartinH
08/12/2004, 07:53 AM
Hey Monkey, thanks for the info. I actually got the idea from Seahorse.org, where they suggested that rather than trying to keep them in a reef-friendly tank, it would be safer and even desirable to house them in a hang-on or in-tank refugium.

dlancz
09/01/2004, 02:54 AM
It is a good idea after careful consideration.... I think that I may try it myself