PDA

View Full Version : powerhead opinions

alexchern75
08/10/2004, 05:07 PM
20L softies.
I'm trying something I just wanted some opinions from some of you more experienced members.
I have 2 powerheads, one is 300 gph, and the other one is about 175 placed in opposite sides on my tank, I just set up a timer for the 300 gph powerhead to turn off and on every 3-4 hours, do you think the changes in current are beneficial or detrimental?

late2wake
08/10/2004, 06:11 PM
Depending on what powerheads you have, you'll probably worry more about your powerheads burining out with the constant switching of off and on. However, the changing current in your tank is always benificial as it keeps stuff moving and floating.
-Derek

Undergrad
08/10/2004, 07:22 PM
Definetely beneficial IMO. I agree about burning out your powerheads faster by doing that though. The power heads on my wave timer kicked the bucket long before the ones that weren't on one.

Arlan

alexchern75
08/10/2004, 08:13 PM
penguin 1140, i quess its not too bad, so far the best out of all the junky ones ive had specially that one that moved back and forth, or was supposed to... the penguin is the only one so far that actually starts everytime without having to purge it. do you guys have any additional recommendations, how about, should I run both powerheads all night or continue the cycling throuout the night?

late2wake
08/10/2004, 10:00 PM
Id like to say to have it continue cycling all night, but you're powerheads will still suffer. The best recommendation I can really make without breaking anything is to ditch your powerheads, get one larger pump (in a sump, or watertight pump outside) and attatch a SQWD wavemaker to it (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=4). The link is to a site reviewing the product as well as picture of it. There are also reviews in the RC reviews section.
-Derek

jayson_219@yahoo.com
08/10/2004, 10:21 PM
yup, the SQWD is the way to go if you dont want a wavemaker. im running one on my tnak alex. you see the effect it has. i like mine alot.
-jason-

alexchern75
08/11/2004, 12:16 AM
pretty cool jay, by the way the kenya is doing good, it already started to stretch out. I'm still hoping the mushrooms do good, since the ones I had before had a hard time fighting the hypersalinity problem that I had. kinda like a post dramatic stress syndrome. haha

bawsom
08/11/2004, 02:07 AM
I'm using four sqwd's on two tanks and they really work ..... highly recommend them

Undergrad
08/11/2004, 10:03 AM
I'm using four sqwd's on two tanks and they really work ..... highly recommend them

Wow!!! How do you have them plumbed? You don't by chance have two squids connected to one squid do you? I've been thinking of trying this to add some really random currents to the tank, but I'm worried about the flow being restricted as a result of this setup.

Arlan

alexchern75
08/11/2004, 08:19 PM
thats it, I need a sqwd