PDA

View Full Version : which protein skimmer?

Nabob89
08/09/2004, 03:16 PM
anybody know what kind of protein skimmer would be best for my 55 gallon reef aquarium?

thanks,
Matt

Entropy
08/09/2004, 03:36 PM
[welcome]

Do you have a sump and if so how big. If not I would suggest the AquaC Remora Pro with the optional skimmer box.

waterart
08/09/2004, 03:45 PM
An AquaC EV180 with a Mag 9 (with ball valve to tweak flow) works great for me. You can do a search and find a ton of info...the brands that seemed to be recommended most are Euroreef and AquaC.

rufio173
08/09/2004, 04:47 PM
Get a turboflotor multi skimmer with ocean runner pump and you should be set.

Peace,
John H.

javajaws
08/09/2004, 04:56 PM
I don't think anybody can tell you what's best for your tank (though we can give you some good fact and experience based recommendations). But first, how about some more info on your tank? Do you want an in-sump or out-of-sump skimmer (or a hang on the back)? How much space do you have available (don't forget height if it's in a cabinet)? What's more important to you: cost, quality, or performance? How much can you spend?

There are just so many good skimmers out there to choose from...

rufio173
08/09/2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by javajaws
I don't think anybody can tell you what's best for your tank (though we can give you some good fact and experience based recommendations). But first, how about some more info on your tank? Do you want an in-sump or out-of-sump skimmer (or a hang on the back)? How much space do you have available (don't forget height if it's in a cabinet)? What's more important to you: cost, quality, or performance? How much can you spend?

There are just so many good skimmers out there to choose from...

And a whole lot of bad ones. Hahhahaha

Peace,
John H.

javajaws
08/09/2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by rufio173
And a whole lot of bad ones. Hahhahaha

Peace,
John H.

Which he might have already been looking at:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3292117#post3292117

Neptune's Nemesis
08/09/2004, 05:31 PM
ASM G-3 Eurostyle skimmer is what I am putting in a 72. If you have enough room they seem pretty good.