PDA

View Full Version : another aiptasia question

postalshane
10/16/2001, 11:31 AM
I have what I had originally though to be aiptasia on a piece of base rock that had been in my tank for quite a while, 5-6 months. However I didn't see this appear until after I added a piece of leather coral, about one month ago. It has not spread anywhere I can see, and has developed sort of bubbles on the ends of the tentacles. From what I have read it looks like it, but I can't tell for sure. Is this consistent with aiptasia, or could it be something else? I was going to attempt the covering the hole this weekend. but wanted to make sure that's what it was. I must be because nothing I have tried even phases it.

postalshane
10/17/2001, 12:05 PM
^
ah come on, I can't find any pictures that look similar to what I have, help

Angel*Fish
10/17/2001, 12:10 PM
Are the bubbles part of the anemone? (not air bubbles) If they are, it doesn't sound like any aptasia I've ever heard of.

Aptasias can completely retract whereas polyps retract leaving a "stem" usually. They(aptasias) are also "sticky".

postalshane
10/17/2001, 12:18 PM
the bubbles are a part of the ?thing, and I can't really tell if it completely retracts, it's coming out of hole in the rock, but it doesn't seem sesitive to light changes

Anemone
10/17/2001, 12:19 PM
Two things come to mind - and which is more likely depends upon a question - does this anemone come out during light or darkness?

If is comes out in the light, there is another pest anemone that has bubble tips, and many folks think looks like a baby bubble-tip anemone. I don't have my books at work, but I think the genus or species is anemonie. If it is one of these (pictures in one of the RA volumes), it's much slower spreading than aiptasia, but does have the ability to suddenly "take off." I had a single for nine months in one tank, then in three months time it produced about 30 clones. Early on in the splitting process I began injecting with boiling kalk, and this seemed pretty effective (just never managed to get them all at once).

If it comes out at night, there is a small anemone that really doesn't spread that has little balls on the ends of its tentacles (almost looks like one of those old fiber-optic lights). Again, don't have my books with me at work, so can't tell you the species, but I'll try and remember to look it up when I get home. They retract into a hole in the rock during the day. Not really a problem, if it's this one.

Kevin

postalshane
10/17/2001, 12:26 PM
the bubbles are a part of the ?thing, and I can't really tell if it completely retracts, it's coming out of hole in the rock, but it doesn't seem sesitive to light changes

postalshane
10/17/2001, 12:55 PM
I mean to say that it is indifferent to light (it is out constantly), and will not retract unless it it touched or swam by very closely. Does that help any more?

Angel*Fish
10/17/2001, 01:29 PM
No, what I should have said was retracts when touched by you or net, etc.

Can you put up photo? Someone on this board can tellyou what it is and whether it needs to be killed.

postalshane
10/17/2001, 03:34 PM
I don't have access to a digital camera. I guess I'll just fill the hole with epoxy, it's kinda a cool looking creature. But I don't want a problem later when I can easily prevent it now, I hope. Thanks all