View Full Version : Has anyone experimented, mounting other sps's other than stags on their side?

reefsrus
08/07/2004, 04:16 PM
Hey, i realize that their was another their just a couple of pages back about this, and this is what inspired me to make this thread. After seein those growth pics i going to try mounting all my new stags on their side. But has anyone ever tried other acros such as tables, milleporas, torts, etc?

Kreeger1
08/07/2004, 04:25 PM
Yeah, they all grow a large base the shoot up muliple branches for new colonies.
Its slower but you get more branches in the long run
Erik
I've done it with millis, nana's tables, digitada ect..

DStroman
08/07/2004, 05:26 PM
This is a picture of a prostrata I recieved with two tiny branches. I glued it on its side and it has since grown at about a 60 degree angle. You can see that it encrusted quite well up and down the side of the rock its on. It has encrusted parrallel with they direction the branches were facing, and not so much side to side.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/554/30116Tyree-Prostrata1.jpg

fuzyfuzer
08/07/2004, 05:57 PM
i glue my birdsnest on it's side when i farg it

gkmartinez
08/07/2004, 07:36 PM
I have started fragging on the side as well. It seems to bring better, but slower growth.

JoeMack
08/07/2004, 07:57 PM
I did it w/ my purple bonsai

o2manyfish
08/07/2004, 08:02 PM
I have mounted more than 1/2 the frags on their side. It's kind of a double edged sword. Most folks overlook the side mounted frags and choose the upward mounted.

However, with patience, those frags side mounted, develop more branches, and quickly develop a colony growth rather than a frag growth. Within a short period of time, these frags grow much more because they are forced to grow in more than one direction (up).

As everyone knows the tips are always aiming and growing toward the light. When you side mount the frags, it will cause the tips to change direction, and will usually force the coral to develop alot more developing growth points.

Dave B