PDA

View Full Version : My cichlids just spawned in front of me have they no shame...

Hound
08/06/2004, 08:03 PM
I know this is a Saltwater forum but i was sitting in my apartment gazing at the reeftank watching the cody's arms blowing in the current when i hear my cichlid tank goin wild. I look and my male female pair of same spiecies were kilin each other i fianlly had to remove one cause the damages are now looking deadly.....bummer...well bout a hour after i noticed all the males gettin really agro toward everything well watching my female kenyi and my male kenyi started to spawn and she was catching the eggs after he fertilized them she now has a mouth full. Well the other male who beat on his mate is trying to get her to spawn with him ...lol so funny how the game is played not too far from humans. Well now i have a red zebra holding and now a female kenyi holding anyone know how long it takes for mouth broaders to release fry....and is fry ok by themselfs or should i catch them???

daddypugg
08/06/2004, 08:17 PM
Hound - I too have a cichlid tank, never much luck at getting them to spawn though! anway congrats on the newbies.

I read (along time ago) that it is either a 10 day or 10 week time period. you might want to try posting that question on the Cichlid Forums (http://www.cichlidforums.com/)

Good Luck

Dantheman3
08/06/2004, 08:40 PM
You will have to take out the female if you want them all to live. I cant stop mine from breeding in my tank even if I dont want them to. Only about 3-4 make it if I dont take her out. 150+ if I do. Congrats.