PDA

View Full Version : Question on running a mag-drive externally

Joe Masyga
08/06/2004, 12:09 PM
I’m thinking about getting a Mag-36 for a closed loop and noticed that Marine depot states "Mag-Drive pumps are not recommended for external use".
but I have also read that they can be used externally. So who uses the mag drives externally and how has it performed any problems with them running externally.

dubitup
08/06/2004, 12:17 PM
I've had my Mag9.5 external for over 2years now...no problems, it does not get hot, just warm to the touch. I went to the Mag from Quite One pump, due to the Quite Ones, I had a lot of problems with them getting too hot and shutting down as well as many impeller problems....I just love the Mag, service it once a year and it's been great

artful-dodger
08/06/2004, 01:21 PM
It doesn't directly answer your question, but I bought two Quiet One pumps with the intent of using them externally. I found that they were 1) noisy out of water and 2) one of the two leaked.

The only reason I mention it is that I did some inquiries on RC at the time to find a substitute, and I had a couple of response back that some Mag pumps (don't remember models) also had problems with leaking in external use.