PDA

View Full Version : Sump & Fug feedback.

MmCheeto
08/06/2004, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone.
I value everyones opinion here. So I would like your thoughts on a few things.

Fug and sumps
If you or you do have a sump. What size box do you prefer?
Would a Sump with a built in fug intrest you?
What do you regret about your current sump and or fug?
How would you improve on the items you dislike about your fug.

The more info you can provide the better. I am going to build a few boxes that will be effected greatly by the posts here. After they are finished I will post a few pics and see what you all think. Thanks so much for your help :smokin:

Konadog
08/06/2004, 10:22 AM
MmCheeto, I think most people that have had one for over a year would agree, that you should put the biggest sump you can fit under your tank! I think a built in refugium is a great idea as long as it doesn't take up room needed for equipment. Maybe a drop in refugium so you could change your mind later if needed. Also, a place for a frag tray is a great idea.

CaliforniaDreamer
08/06/2004, 10:38 AM
As said by Konadog the bigger the better!

Some of the things I would like to see are the following. A sump with the return "valved" to the frug so you could control the flow in the fuge would be nice. The fuge should then overflow back to the sump IMHO. It would also be nice if the fuge was removable for easy maintenance. I would want an external pump for my return, room for a skimmer in the sump and some way of blocking bubbles from being returned to the tank. The lighting for the fuge should be PC or T-5 with power dependent on size. The sump should contain a valve for auto-top-off from either a bucket or RO/DI unit. The sump should have two level switches to turn off the pump in the case of low water in the sump. It would also be helpful to have some bulkheads available for such things as Ca reactor and coil de-nitrifier. The sumps overflow capacity needs to be sized to the tank and a overflow drain would be nice to prevent floods. Wow, if you could provide all of that in a single sump I'd buy one. :D

MmCheeto
08/06/2004, 11:45 AM
LMOA . Thats great. Interesting as well as usefull. I like the frag tray and removable fug is interesting. For a sump that has room for equipment and fug is a current issue. To have a usefull fug it requires alot of space. The equipment also hogs the rest. Would an add on fug aplication be more usefull? Kinda curious to see what direction this takes. So far

Anti bubble baffles
Frag tray ( In fug section work?)
Removable fug ( need to reserch that one)
Valved return for fug ( would need a little more info)

Moving along
Thank guys :)

MmCheeto
08/06/2004, 03:16 PM
Bump

CaliforniaDreamer
08/06/2004, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MmCheeto

Frag tray ( In fug section work?)

Need a way to seperate macro like chaeto from frag tray.

Removable fug ( need to reserch that one)
Could be like HOB fuge.

Valved return for fug ( would need a little more info)
The fuge return could be plumbed with a "T" and a valve that would allow the control to bypass of some of the flow from the return to the main tank to the fuge.

Konadog
08/06/2004, 04:28 PM
MmCheeto, you may get a better response posting this question in the Do it yourself (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3) forum. Lots of good refugium ideas in there.