PDA

View Full Version : Advice For A Newbie

chemtyra
08/06/2004, 01:46 AM
I am looking to switch over from freshwater to saltwater.
I am looking to set up a 75 gallon system with VHO. I was told that an electronic ballast with four 4' VHO bulbs should be sufficient. MH bulbs will be too warm for my apartment's cooling system to handle. I plan on having mostly soft and leather corals with possibly a few stonies. A few fish, urchins, shrimp and snails will most likely be included as well.
What equipment would people advise me to get.
I currently have nothing for this system.
Any good deals people can tell me about will be appreciated.
If people have high quality used equipment they are willing to sell PM me.
Thank you for everything.

AttackDonut
08/06/2004, 11:34 AM
You would be amazed at just how cool the newer MH setups run. AquaMedic has a very nice set up that doesn't generate nearly the heat you would think.

You may wish to look into that
http://www.hellolights.com/ocli25hqiame.html

biohazard55
08/06/2004, 03:42 PM
Major equipment:
Skimmer (need to decide a HOB or in sump if you decide to go with a sump)
heater (Ebo jager)
Powerheads (stay away from rio)
Sand & Rocks

VHO are nice if you like to ramp up/down the lights for dawn/dusk effect. PCs are cheaper, and suppose to last longer

Reading a book or any online threads would really help you get started.

Good luck!

ladytinker
08/06/2004, 06:50 PM
From what I have learned from my Husband Brian (Biodragen).
I know he would say to start with something like a 75 gallon only because it can be easier to bounce back if something goes wrong.

He had VHO lights on his fish only and it lights up the room.
He also uses them on his other tank he uses for frags and are also doing well.
I know he will also say to do lots of reading, take it slow and decide what you are allowing yourself to spend and what you can afford monthly.
My husband did not do all of this and is sorry for not doing all of these things.
Jumping in can be very expensive with costly mistakes. He can tell you his fair share of mistakes.

If he could be here I am sure he would help you out.

Misty