PDA

View Full Version : heteractis magnifica and a. chrysopterus

Ron Popeil
08/05/2004, 08:24 PM
i took two crappy pictures of my ritteri right after it guzzled down a gigantic whole shrimp. which it soon followed by regurgitating as it was much much too big.
the anemone is about 18 inches across. and the fish are about 4 inches each.

the anemone was purchased about 5 months ago from a store down here selling it as a $35 long tenticled anemone. i deftly made it my own, and has since been growing and eating and been my most prized inhabitant. my 120 gallon cube like tank was primarily designed for this species of anemone.
the clowns i purchased from liveaquaria about a month ago. i had them in quarentine only about two and a half weeks. i made the decision to move them into the main tank after medicating them with special foods and copper after only such a short time because a) i was going to california for a week, and i didnt want the responsibility of daily water changes being shouldered by my tank babysitter and b) the fish ate and responded extremely well.

since being added to the tank, they have become the most aggressive and confident fish in the tank. especially the female. they exhibit an amazing amount of confidence and are just spectacular. i absolutely adore them.

i was going to try to post my pictures on this thread, but after it didnt work, ill save the trouble and just put them in my gallery. if someone is able to and wants to display them in this thread, that would be swell.

thank you to everyone who provided quarentine information and tips on these clownfish in past chrysopterus threads...

z_rivers
08/05/2004, 09:01 PM
here ill post them for you so people dont have to browse the gallery.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/z_rivers/UPLOAD2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/z_rivers/UPLOAD1.jpg

your ritteri looks very healthy. what lighting is it under?

Ron Popeil
08/05/2004, 09:36 PM
thank you very much aaron.

as for the health aspect, yes, this guy seems to be doing wonderfully. when i got it, it was incredibly sticky, which ive never encountered with any of the other specimens id tried to house.

its currently positioned under dual 400w 20k halides.

Bozad
08/06/2004, 08:10 AM
I am not an expert on Ritteri Anenome but the two that I have purchased have a much shorter tenticle. The base on both were a dark blue to purple. What color is the base on yours?

Ron Popeil
08/06/2004, 02:28 PM
wow, dark blue bases? that would look pretty spectacular. yes, i was also surprised at the length of my anemones tenticles, but i saw a ritteri in another RC reefers tank that looked almost identicle to mine, so i didnt fret. i would have preferred a specimen with a bright colored base and intense purple tipped tenticles, but my main concern with this species was to just get a healthy one and have one that survives. color and shape came second.

so now i have a nice yellow tenticled pale bluish pink base specimen that im most fond of.

Bozad
08/06/2004, 02:32 PM
That's good to hear. I did some addtional checking and my temp. 80-82 may have caused the death. What temp does your tank run at?

Ron Popeil
08/06/2004, 02:39 PM
ha. temperature.
ugh.
my temp fluctuates from 80 to 85. i dont have a chiller, and so im constantly adjusting my photoperiods and fans to get my temperature to stay around 82 to 84.

salinity is around 1.024