PDA

View Full Version : WTB 20-30 lbs of Live Rock

fishandkids
08/05/2004, 10:59 AM
LR wanted. Anyone have any for sale? PM me.

Thanks,

--Scott

fossill
08/05/2004, 12:50 PM
I'm in the market too!!! About the same quantity. Once fishandkids has his, I'll welcome some local rock.

artful-dodger
08/05/2004, 01:40 PM
I have quite a bit that I picked up from BoulderReefKeeper two weeks ago as he was tearing down his tank in preparation for his move. I moved it into my 115 gal curing tank with pumps, skimmer and cannister filter so it is still very "live". I just don't have an immediate use for so much of it. I added a few pieces to my 140, but most of it is just staying wet.

It is nice rock...mostly Fiji. Fairly dense but very interesting shapes. Very nicely encrusted with coralline algae. The tank had a copper banded butterfly, some peppermint shrimp and a few snails and polyps in it when I got the rock so it doesn't appear there was any copper treatment done. I'm running new carbon in the cannister filter just to be sure. I found a few small bristle worms and other hitchhikers. (The ones I found I put into my 140, but I'm guessing there are others in the remaining rock.) I keep the salinity on the curing tank pretty high, but the rock should transition well. I'll do another full set of tests on the water tonight, but I didn't see any ammonia or nitrite spike after I brought it home.

The longer it sits in my curing tank without light, the more coralline will start to fade. I'm willing to sell it for the same price I paid him...$2/lb. I thought it was a pretty good deal for cured Fiji. (Although, anybody who wants to also donate a frag or two for the 140 would not be turned down!)

I was in contact earlier in the week with one member who was interested in buying some, but we haven't actually hooked up yet so I'm not sure how much will be left, but I think there should be around 100 pounds.

(I guess my only request is that you be willing, at that price, to take some small pieces as well as the big...I don't want to get stuck with all of the softballs and give up the basketballs at the bargain price...)

My schedule is a bit hectic I'm afraid, though. I will be home tomorrow (Friday) evening from 6:30 (or so) on but then gone all weekend. Next Tuesday (8/10) is my next evening at home. I'm located in Highlands Ranch (if that helps in trip planning). Feel free to PM me or leave details in the thread about how much you might want and when you'd like to come by.

Plan on bringing enough buckets...I think there are about 7 salt buckets worth total. You can take enough of the curing tank water to keep it submerged for the drive home.

Gary

GoldenReef
08/05/2004, 01:58 PM
Gary,
Sent a Pm.
So after the others are done let me know.

artful-dodger
08/05/2004, 02:06 PM
Will do...my wife has accused me of trying to convert the house in an LFS...maybe she's right.

fishandkids
08/05/2004, 02:38 PM
Gary, thanks for the reply. PM sent.

--Scott

fossill
08/05/2004, 02:39 PM
sent pm

david86camaro
08/05/2004, 05:55 PM
If you still need some live rock I have quit a bit that I will be trying to get rid of soon, trying to combine two sets of tanks in to one and have lots of extra rock and substrate. (If you want any base rock or crushed coral that once was live now dried out I have a few hundred pounds that I want to get rid of for free)
David

fossill
08/05/2004, 06:28 PM
david, sent pm (you might work out better anyway since you'll be closer)

fishandkids
08/05/2004, 10:09 PM
Gary, Do you still have LR for sale? Need to make travel arrangements. Thanks.

--Scott

artful-dodger
08/06/2004, 09:15 PM
In the spirit of full disclosure, I found some pretty good sized aiptasia in the holding tank tonight. I think I PM's everybody who was interested in the rock, but thought I'd mention it here as well. The three pieces that went into my 140 didn't show any, but I have 8 peppermints in there that took care of an earlier aiptasia mini-outbreak and they may have cleaned the rocks before I noticed.

The tank water is still 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites but up to about 20 ppm nitrates. pH was 8.0

Okay, now I can guiltless sleep tonight...

Misfit6669
08/06/2004, 10:18 PM
Nice meeting you tonight Gary, thanks for feeding the snowflake, she/he is sweet.
Brian

fishandkids
08/06/2004, 10:33 PM
Diddo Gary. The Snowflake was too cool. Now I want one. :) Great rock! Thanks.

Brian, How in the ..... did you get to your computer so fast!

--Scott

Misfit6669
08/06/2004, 11:18 PM
It's a secret Scott.
Thanks again for letting me tag along today.
Left some crap in your ride. Let me know a good time to hook up.
Brian

fishandkids
08/06/2004, 11:55 PM
Darn, that is too bad cause whatever was left was recently sold with the car........I hope it wasn't corals or anything.

I am home all day tomorrow. I will pm you with the address or bring to O.C's tomorrow i heard they have a special on hangovers.

--Scott