PDA

View Full Version : Help Brown Algae Bloom

digordiex
08/04/2004, 10:40 PM
125gal FOWLR (75lbs LR) 4"DSB 200lbs Southdown 50lbs live sand newly started 4 weeks ago, Used RO water running carbon / HOT Mag and venturi skimmer, mag950 pump w/ 2-3/4" returns and 2 1200 power heads so pleanty of water movement.

I did a 25% water change yesterday after i started noticing it, siphoned out what i could, then tonight after i get home from work its returned.

Are there any chemicals that can help remove or kill anything thats producing this? I know I have to remove the silicate and silicic acids that are active, but how? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Static
08/06/2004, 10:20 PM
chemi-clean

crafty_50mitchell
08/07/2004, 07:56 PM
If the tank is just 4 weeks old, was the live rock cured before you added it? Are there any animals in the tank? Are you testing for anything? Chances are there is still adequete die-off on/in the live rock you have in the tank and that is supplementing your initial large algae bloom (somewhat normal for a new tank). Unless you have livestock in there (which fella you shouldnt since this thing hasent cycled yet, unless you added rock from an established tank) dont sweat it. Just for clarification on chemi-clean, it's great at exterminating DOC's and knocking out cyanobacteria (slime algae, generally a reddish/browm film) but is not a treatment for general algae bloom, granted many use it monthly for water clarification.
Hope that helps/sheds light on your situation
Brian