PDA

View Full Version : very new to the hobby

maddogjones
08/03/2004, 10:55 AM
I just got a 33 gallon tank ... 304 fluval... undergravel filter.. and the obvious stuff on friday.... i put the water in and stuff... just to let it run for a bit. i have yet to put gravel or sand in it. Do you guys think that it is better for me to make it salt or fresh water?? i like the look of sw alot.. but by reading all this stuff on the forums it looks super hard to upkeep and stuff. With the equipment that i have, will it be harder or easier to run than if i had other equipment? thanks for the help

mhurley
08/03/2004, 11:18 AM
[welcome]

If this if your first tank you should really do a lot of research before you even consider saltwater. It's not that it is difficult, it just requires a lot of understanding and not as simple as tossing salt into the water and adding fish. We are all here to help but you should consider the financial and personal time investment you'll have to make depending on the type of tank you would want (reef/corals, fish only..etc). This hobby can very easily get addicting and very, very expensive.

I suggest starting here:
http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

Good luck.

maddogjones
08/03/2004, 11:22 AM
TANKS!

VoidRaven
08/03/2004, 11:48 AM
I'll second the time committment....can't even count the times I've heard from my wife: "Are you still playing around in that tank?!?!?! I'm going to bed!"

2, 3, 4 hours at a stretch....cleaning, adjusting, watching, adjusting, watching, adding stuff, etc.

And then later I hear: "I want a Snowflake Eel like that one guy (she means rjwilson) has. When can we get one?)

*sigh*

Just can't win. :)

lori7973
08/03/2004, 12:03 PM
My husband and I went into this hobby without researching, that is very unlike him. Normally he will research something to death before doing it. But I would have to say that we both totally enjoy this hobby, it can be very stressful at times, but if you do it the right way, do your research first then start it slowly..... and the key word is "slowly" you will succeed and totally enjoy your tank. We had tropical freshwater tank (gave the fish to my daughters friend) and we still have a 55 goldfish tank that we like very much. It is all up to you..... if you do decide to go with SW, I would like to suggest you take back your undergravel filter and do a DSB, there are ways to do this without it being expensive... just do a search here on RC.

BTW, you will learn more than you could ever imagine reading here!! Awesome site and people!!

pilot_bell777
08/03/2004, 01:38 PM
I can't tell you much about fresh water because when i decided to get into fish, I had to do salt and did it without turning back. I did research for about a year before I ever baught my first tank though. Salt is very rewarding but also very demanding. If you do go salt, I agree take the undergravel filter back and go with sand, live rock, and a good clean up crew, and if you can afford it a refuguim.

As for the addiction part, add your first coral and see where you are then. I am BEYOND addicted to this hobby. I even have a 2.5 gallon nano reef on my desk at work with corals, a crab, and a cone top snail with a little 50/50 coralife reef bulb in it.

If you do salt you will be like the rest of us and have 10 tanks sitting around full of stuff before you know it but the key thing to remember is "IT COST A WHOLE LOT MORE!"

saltydoc
08/03/2004, 05:37 PM
I would definitely advise starting with freshwater. They are much more forgiving, and the organisms are much hardier (and cheaper if you make mistakes!). The maintenance is much less demanding.

Howver, I think the addiction level and rewards are much greater with a marine tank.

So, if I were you, set up a freshwater tank. With or without the undergravel filter - you really don't need it if you have a good canister. Get used to taking care of the fish, water tests, water changes, etc. Only invest in equipment that you can use in a saltwater tank - saves time and money if you switch in the future. Also, don't use any medicines that aren't reef-safe, again for future safety. If and when you're ready, convert!

If you decide to start with salt, definitely read a book or two before you buy anything else or even add water to the tank! And then, hit RC and answer all your questions.