PDA

View Full Version : Live Base Rock from TBS

CoRPS
08/02/2004, 07:28 PM
Has anyone ever gotten Live Base Rock from TBS? How is it? Worth it? I'm obviously on a low budget, and it's basically the same thing as regular rock, i'm going to go for it.
If it isn't, what's the difference?

cmfowden5150
08/02/2004, 07:45 PM
I GOT QUITE A BIT OF LR FROM THEM A WHILE BACK AND PROBABLY WOULDN'T DO IT AGAIN. THE ROCK LOOKS REALLY GOOD AND IF YOU GO THEIR YOU CAN HAND PICK NICE PIECES BUT WHEN I WAS THEIR IT WAS ALL UNCURED. AT FIRST IT WAS GREAT DUE TO ALL THE LIFE THAT CAME IN WITH IT BUT IT EVENTUALLY GOT TO BE TO MUCH TO HANDLE WITH ALL THE DIE OFF AND UNWANTED CRITTERS. JUST MY TWO CENTS.

jay24k
08/02/2004, 08:11 PM
It is really nice stuff. I don't know if I'll do TBS again either. I really enjoy corals more and I hate to cover up all the nice rocks they have. It's a shame really. If you aren't doing a reef, I would get their rocks for sure as it is amazing stuff. If you want to do a full reef, I would get regular rocks imo.

Melbourne
08/02/2004, 08:40 PM
Hi,

I have purchased their base rock, it has decent good coralline coverage. I think I paid around $2.50 a lb, its right in the same price range as some Walt Smith Fiji Premium LR. Each is different, even the base LR I received from TBS had some hitchers like tunicates, bi-valves, etc. The Fiji LR I bought for around the same price had fewer hitchers but better shapes and coralline coverage.

I agree with the previous posters - if you get into corals, the live rock really becomes secondary - you'll be more interested in getting a good aquascape for your corals. Still the TBS rock has the most life and the best shipping method - I've purchased from TBS, liverocks.com, Fiji, Tonga, Marshall (Walt Smith/LFS).

-Mike

CoRPS
08/02/2004, 08:46 PM
So, if I would be setting up a reef, all you really need is just normal base rock? I live in Florida, so limestone is all over the place. Could I just use that?
Currently in my 10 gallon FO I have about 20lbs of Limestone I gathered from my backyard ( I'm on an EXTREMELY Low budge :p ). My water param.s aren't the best, Nitrates are pretty high right now, nitrites are at about .25, ammonia is 0, and my PH is about 8.0-8.2 ( this is what I'm remembering, it may be different), the sand is playsand bought from Home Depot for like $2.50. I've got a Top Fin 10 that I've had since I used freshwater, a Rio 600, and a cheesy light.
I think Corals are out of the question :p
However, I'm open for donations :D

avshockey311
08/02/2004, 09:10 PM
Good luck getting anyone to answer any questions from TBS. I have had an e-mail in with them for over 2 weeks now still no reply. Maybe you will have better luck. But from what I have heard its really good stuff.

Saltz Creep
08/02/2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by CoRPS
So, if I would be setting up a reef, all you really need is just normal base rock? I live in Florida, so limestone is all over the place. Could I just use that?
Currently in my 10 gallon FO I have about 20lbs of Limestone I gathered from my backyard ( I'm on an EXTREMELY Low budge :p ). My water param.s aren't the best, Nitrates are pretty high right now, nitrites are at about .25, ammonia is 0, and my PH is about 8.0-8.2

^What's your phosphate level? Florida limestone is high in phosphates. Bahamian limestone is super low which is why floridaliverock.com (and TBS?) imported it instead of using native Florida rock.

CoRPS
08/03/2004, 08:37 AM
I've never tested my phosphate