PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon tank. What would you do?

SunDragon
08/01/2004, 07:27 AM
Everyone allways says "If I did one more tank, it would be like this..."

So I have this complete 75 gallon setup just sitting here. I was planning on selling it, but was sorta wondering what someone else might do with this setup instead. Im looking for different ideas, not just making it another reef tank. Heres a list of the tanks equipment:

75 RR all glass tank (old corner overflow style)
Custom DIY stand
Aqua-C ev120 skimmer
250 heater
3 maxi-jet 1200 power heads
20 gallon sump with refuge area
Mag 7 return pump.
about 80 lbs of live sand in it.
I can come up with about 206 watts of Power compact to go over it for free.

So minus some live rock, its ready to roll.

The two ideas I have had so far are either Sea grass or mangrove tank with sea horses.

Or going the other extreme...

hooking up a large surge device to the tank for a sort of "reef crest" tank. But other than SPS, are there any other creatures that might appreciate or enhance this impressive example of water movement?

Originaly I wanted an octo, but the wife said no way, they were to creepy.

So again, what would you do?

Froggy
08/01/2004, 09:45 AM
I would make it a species specific biotope. Most reef tanks we see are a collection of corals that are not near eachother in the wild. I would pick a specific area of the reef as well as the world and create a biotope specific to the creatures that live there naturally in nature. I think that would make a magnificent display.

I do like the sea horse idea as well as long as you are up for the diffucult task of caring for them.

Chihuahua6
08/01/2004, 10:02 AM
I like the seahorse idea or maybe an anemone tank with clownfish if you're up to it.

topshotta
08/01/2004, 10:10 AM
I like the mangrove idea. Years ago a friend of mine gave me a small mangrove from Florida that he found washed up on the shore that I put into a 65 with a pendant hanging above it. It was pretty cool seeing a tree growing out of the aquarium. Is there a way that you could suspend the power compact? In the tank that I setup I had various sponges and an assortment of small fish (blennies etc.)

prop-frags
08/01/2004, 10:19 AM
Seahorses are so endangered, and so difficult to care for, I would stay away from that. As long as hobbiests create demand, collectors will continue to strip nature until there is nothing left. A better option is to create a propegation tank. Stock it completely from frags, grow them out, and give/sell to others to eliminate some wild collection. If just 1-in-10 of us were to do this, just think of the great impact it would have on natural reefs being able to bounce back from over-collection. :cool:

SunDragon
08/01/2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Chihuahua6
I like the seahorse idea or maybe an anemone tank with clownfish if you're up to it.

I currently have a 18" bubble tip and a mated pair of maroons in my 125, so allready done that!

SunDragon
08/01/2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by mclva123
Seahorses are so endangered, and so difficult to care for, I would stay away from that. As long as hobbiests create demand, collectors will continue to strip nature until there is nothing left. A better option is to create a propegation tank. Stock it completely from frags, grow them out, and give/sell to others to eliminate some wild collection. If just 1-in-10 of us were to do this, just think of the great impact it would have on natural reefs being able to bounce back from over-collection. :cool:

Hey Mike, nice to see you around. We never did get that calcium reactor built did we? :lol:

Yeah, I hadnet done any real research on them yet, just contemplating ideas. All those frags would be nice, except it would take a tiny fortune to get started in it. Then after they grew out it would be to much like a business for me.

prop-frags
08/03/2004, 07:44 PM
Hey Steven!
I actually lucked into a used one. You coming to the frag swap?

SunDragon
08/03/2004, 08:05 PM
Nope, didnt know anything about a frag swap going on. Whats the scoop?

ReefEze
08/07/2004, 02:04 PM
Go with the seahorse Idea, that would be very cool. http://www.oceanrider.com/ for completely aquacultured seahorses that are easy to keep.

Algae Blenny
08/07/2004, 02:44 PM
You can get aquacultured seahorses, but if I had that I would definately go w/ one of the coolest SW creatures, cuttlefish.

Morbo
08/07/2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Algae Blenny
You can get aquacultured seahorses, but if I had that I would definately go w/ one of the coolest SW creatures, cuttlefish.

Cuttle fish have a horrible survial rate in captivity for all but the most advanced and public aquaria even have a hard time with them.

Try looking in the cephlapod(sp?) forum here on reef central and get a bimac octo instead.

mothra
08/07/2004, 05:56 PM
fill it up w/ about 400# of sand, plant a bunch of mangroves, add a few dozen clams... the ultimate biofilter ;)

Xx_de_xX
08/07/2004, 09:03 PM
acropora only tank.. mmmm!

Rikko
08/08/2004, 12:56 AM
I'd probably just box that stupid thing up and mail it to Rikko and let *him* worry about it.

Xx_de_xX
08/08/2004, 01:24 AM
haha

prop-frags
08/08/2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by SunDragon
Nope, didnt know anything about a frag swap going on. Whats the scoop? Aw, man, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. MR294 hosted a frag swap (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403741) last week. I'll make sure I pass along the invitation to you sooner for the next one. We had a great time.