PDA

View Full Version : Why am i getting hair algae now??

NiV
08/01/2004, 04:36 AM
Hi reefers, im having a problem with hair algae thats turning into coraline i think.... im not really sure, my sandbed and rocks are turning purple-ish but its hairy also, is that bad?? Im still a noob so help plz. My tank has been set up for about 8 months. Everything was doing fine for the first 5-6 months but lately it seems like im getting alot of hair algae. Im using a RODI water system so im sure its not my water, rite?? My corals, anemones and my clams seems to be doing fine just the fact that my hair algae is blooming badly. What should i do? i like coraline!! but i dont like that hair algae so any tips or advices would be greatly appeciated. thank you.

DaveC
08/01/2004, 04:49 AM
sounds like you are having some sort of algea outbreak, hair algea does not turn into coralline algea, and if it is fuzzy that it is not coralline...you should probably post some water parameters including phosphates so people could help you easier, also do you have a TDS meter to determine what your RO/DI filter is putting out, depending on last cartridge change it could be as easy as that, but obviously something has changed in your tank

DaveC

R33f3r
08/01/2004, 09:18 AM
Find out what is causing your excess po4 levels. Are you overfeeding? How often do you perform water changes? How old are your lights?.......

luvmyreef
08/01/2004, 09:23 AM
is it hairy or kinda velvety looking sounds like possibly cyano bacteria, also none as red slime.