PDA

View Full Version : lighting question help plz

slave-of-rock
07/30/2004, 05:20 PM
i have vho lighting, its a 48" system with 4 bulbs, 2 actinic and 2 10,000k. i got the lights with a tank i bought, 90g wave front, and i havent reseached on the total wattage output on these lights, what kind of corals i can hold in this tank with these lights and how close to the water i should hang these lights. plz respond on how close to the water they should be asap because i would like to hang the lights tomarrow by noon, thank you for all your help in advanced
kyle kaz

Ramble On Rose
07/30/2004, 05:51 PM
well the total wattage is 440W (each 48" VHO builb is 110W). Personally I have the same setup and my lights are about 4" from the water. I had them 2" for awhile with no ill affects other then the hood i had built did not allow air flow with the bulbs so close, so heat built up and cooked my tank. as far as corals, i have no idea. i have a 55 gallon and im getting my first coral this weekend (from a nice CMAS member :) ), but i was planning on eventually having everything other then the really light demanding SPS corals and clams. but i am positive someone knows a whole lot more then i do about corals, and you have a bigger tank...

arinick
07/30/2004, 05:51 PM
VHO can be kept very close to the water, relative to MH. They are less likely to break due to splatter. Mine are 3" or so from the surface, I would guess.

With 440W of VHO, you can keep more than most people will tell you. Most important to consider is water quality. You can keep many of the tougher corals and clams, have them keep their color and grow rapidly with VHO lighting if your water quality is high enough. It takes a long time to get it there, though... so I recommend starting with the easier corals and moving up.

Here's something to consider (been posting this picture a lot lately, but I like it!):

http://www.athousandmonkeys.com/library/sideshot07182004.jpg

slave-of-rock
07/30/2004, 06:33 PM
thats a nice pic and i have seen it before, is it your tank? also what do you think i should start out with? i have a nano cube so i know the basics of keeping coral, whats in that tank now is a 1 headec frogspawn (which i know i shouldnt have in a jbj nano with pc lighting, but hes been doin great for the past month and has grown ALOT) a bunch of shrooms and thats it. i am trying to gather as much info as i can and all help is needed. i am going to start a journal online when i start the tank so everyone can see my progress and tell me what i am doing good and what i am doing bad, it will take a while to set up as i am only 16 so i dont have a few hundred layin around to buy lr asap, also i would like to know what order i should add corals, thnx again for your help
kyle kaz

arinick
07/30/2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks- that is our tank... taken about 3 weeks ago.

There are lots of locals from whom you can get great prices on frags. Softies, zoas, shrooms, leathers... all easy to keep. I remember when I started my tank all I wanted to keep was Xenia! :lol:

I'm due for some softie fragging, so if you have a few bucks and want a few frags just let me know.

Good luck, you'll find everyone here very helpful- I'd love to follow your progress.

slave-of-rock
07/30/2004, 07:26 PM
well i just set up the tank 2 weeks ago, not even salted yet, went to camp and jus came back today, ill prob salt it this week and put some lr rubble in. what can you frag? i might want somethin to hold in my nano untill the tank is set up. i am also thinkin about puttin shrooms in my 75, do they need coral lighting? because i have heard of people having some shrooms in a tank with just the tanks stock lighting, thnx
kyle kaz

arinick
07/30/2004, 08:58 PM
I've got 2 different softies- but I honestly don't know their names. I can send pics if you are interested. Also have zoos, GSP, xenia, etc...

I'll always have them- if you would prefer to wait for your tank to be up and running rather than hold them in the nano.

ykh
07/30/2004, 09:30 PM
I've met Ari in person at his house before. He is very nice guy with a very nice tank. You won't be disappointed by his tank.

Kean Huat

slave-of-rock
07/30/2004, 09:37 PM
where do you live, just a q. but do you think i can hold some shrooms in my 75g tank with stock lightingi might be interested in some xenia to start off the tank, thats, IMO, a good way to make shure the water perms in check. email me some pics or post them here, that would be great thnx

Evolley1
08/02/2004, 12:48 PM
Ari,

Evolley1
08/02/2004, 12:50 PM
Oops...anyway...Ari, when you frag some of your zoos or any other softies I'd like to know. Due to the size of my tank 46gal I try to stick with small stuff including a variety of zoo colors. Let me know.
Eric

slave-of-rock
08/02/2004, 02:40 PM
id like to get some shrooms, if any avalible, pm me

jjjimmy
08/02/2004, 04:13 PM
Kaz I know the tank that you have. With that tank and that lighting system you can pretty easily keep anything short of clams and SPS.

Good luck.

slave-of-rock
08/02/2004, 09:43 PM
thanks, did you see his tank before he tore it down? or do you just know it? also is there a way i can keep clams buy adding more vhos? or do i need mh lighting? pm me thnx
kaz