PDA

View Full Version : Umm... I'd Rather Not Say Right Here

64Ivy
10/12/2001, 02:27 PM
I feed my fish at regular times and I feed them fairly heavily. It does the ol' heart good to see a tank full of healthy and happy inhabitants chow down as though they haven't a care in the world. It's good for the ego. However, in the last couple of weeks, I've noticed something a little...um, strange. I mean, I'm sure this is either coincidence or maybe even Pavlovian; certainly not something I should take at all personally. But I can't help it. You see, lately when I walk into my fishtank room at 'dinnertime', my fish acknowlegde my presence by...well, gang pooping. Oh sure, logic says 'Perhaps they're just making more room for the upcoming meal' but I gotta tell you, it sure doesn't feel good...walking into a room and...

Anyway, I'm just curious; I can't be the only aquarist out there whose fish do weird things (maybe the only one whose fish do THIS weird thing). So c'mon guys, help out a brother with a fragile ego here and tell me some of the strange and unusual behaviors your criiters have shown

Tank Razed
10/12/2001, 02:29 PM
wow!
I can't say that has ever happened to me:D
Maybe it is really flattering in fish language. Maybe they find you sooo attractive they lose control.
I don't know what to tell you except get a picture of it and post it for the rest of us.

volk23
10/12/2001, 02:30 PM
hahaha, sorry, very funny... Maybe your fish has some type crap disease?

mgk65
10/12/2001, 02:31 PM
I guess, it is sort of ...ummm... interesting....

My atlantic blue tang drops such a load, I am amazed that it doesn't pile up all over my sand!!! :eek1:

I have rarely seen my clowns poop.

Sometimes I use a turkey baster to feed, and all the fish hit it like they have not had a meal for days....(they get fed 2-3 times per day)

mgk

Mako
10/12/2001, 02:34 PM
Oh yes, please, pictures!! :D Gang pooping....now that has got to be something to see.

I have a PBT that does a pretty nifty "jig" when trying to get my attention. Usually when his belly has more room for Nori. :D Not sure how to describe it other than he does this weird kinda watery dance. Once you come over to the tank he will stop and stare you down.

budhaboy
10/12/2001, 02:36 PM
oh ouch my gut hurts...too funny.that doesnt happen to me but I do have a Puffer that isnt too bright - either that or he needs glasses- at feeding time if I am adding food for the other creatures in my fowler besides the shrimp n scallops I feed him I have to walk to the other side of the tank to where I keep the nori on a shelf- my puffer will swim after me, not watching where hes going and then, THUMP! right into the side of the tank! that side of the tank is covered in coraline algae so its not like he doesnt know the tank stops there. then he gets embarrased and hides behind the rocks for an hour or two...

"Q"
10/12/2001, 02:39 PM
I suppose it is better then jumping all over your leg.:p

volk23
10/12/2001, 02:47 PM
when my lownmower blennie munches on some algae of the sand, he swollows alot it, so his belly is big, he looks like hes pregrant. And when hes pooping, he swims high across the whole tank and all the fish follow him and tries to eat it thinking that its food or something, then he sits on the pump and probably LHAO in some fish way watching them to eat his poop. Does that to them every day, very funny to watch... I just wonder how long its gonna take them to realize it.. Or will they at all? :)

amcarrig
10/12/2001, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the laugh 64Ivy...how many of us do you think will be watching our fish more closely than usual tonight...and for such a strange reason.

fishteacher73
10/12/2001, 02:56 PM
Although not really a salt board item, but I have a freind that has a dojo loach in a fresh tank that ....well for lack of a better term...farts, or at least expells some sort of gas from his rear....Thats about as odd of a thing as I have ever seen...
I have a bi-color blennie that likes to burp as well, but I think that is overshadowed by the flatuating dojo..
I guess we all have some sort of peculiarities.

Vilas
10/12/2001, 03:04 PM
Maybe it's like some dogs, who get so excited to see new people that they pee all over them?

(Thanks for that, we all needed that image - TOO funny!)

Playfair
10/12/2001, 03:06 PM
I've noticed this as well, especially from my tangs! It must be because they are so excited...

To make matters worse, the thawed Formula1 (which resembles waste anyway) mixes with the crud in the water column to form a plethora of foodstuffs, which the fish indescriminantly consume in whole.

slimytadpole
10/12/2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Mako
Oh yes, please, pictures!! :D Gang pooping....now that has got to be something to see.

What an odd fetish....

jus1moretank
10/12/2001, 04:33 PM
Diarrhea or to much roughage ??:D

bigtank
10/12/2001, 04:42 PM
I used to have a yellow tang (before I took him back to the LFS). He would eat like mad and frequently take huge dumps. My brittle star would immediately eat the poop. I guess it had nutritional value since it came out green?

64Ivy
10/12/2001, 05:45 PM
C'mon guys, I didn't mean for this to turn into a...a...poop thread, for Pete's sake.;) I was looking for stories of ANY kind of weird behavior, not just intestinal. And speaking of imagery, imagine me with a camera trying to immortalize THAT moment!

Yep, my life is really working out here.:p

reefmanic
10/12/2001, 06:42 PM
This was a good laugh:D:D:D

I think a new forum is in store for this topic...."Excrement Experience":eek2: :eek2: :eek1: :eek1:

August

reefmanic
10/12/2001, 06:48 PM
This was a good laugh:D:D:D

I think a new forum is in store for this topic...."Excrement Experience":eek2: :eek2: :eek1: :eek1:

August

cone9
10/12/2001, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by 64Ivy
And speaking of imagery, imagine me with a camera trying to immortalize THAT moment!

Sounds like a Pulitzer in the making to me!

Rube
10/12/2001, 07:13 PM
I too have witnessed the dinner time drop. My powder brown tang likes to, well, make room for dinner. Confuses the other fish, who can't always tell the floating biscuits from the flakes by sight alone...

wnfaknd
10/12/2001, 07:23 PM
My blue tangs play a funny game to watch, one of them swallows air and then spits it out near the sand, while the other tries to catch the bubbles as they rise up. then they reverse roles. very amusing behavior.

Old Yeller Tang
10/13/2001, 02:38 AM
IBS! Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

slojmn
10/13/2001, 08:56 AM
My Atlantic Blue Tang does the exact same thing. As soon as I get near the tank, feeding or not, he takes a big dump. I started noticing this a few months back. It cracks me up. I have a blackcap basslet that stares through the magnifying glass that sits leaning against the glass. He did this early on for months, then went away from it to build a nest, I then dismantled his nest, I know mean, but he was dumping sand on everyone around his nest. Now he is back at the magnifying glass and has returned to his original lair.