PDA

View Full Version : Large Tank on Main Floor, Floor Support

mwood
07/29/2004, 11:22 AM
My new tank doesn't quite meet your criteria for a large tank, but I assume this is the place for this question. I'm getting a 150 with a footprint of about 72x18. I would like to put this on the main floor.

Details about the area for the tank:
The floor joists are 2x8's. Forgot to check how far apart they are. This end of the house was built 5 years ago and is over crawl space.

Does the tank need to perpendicular to the joists? Would I need to add more support? What are the weight conserns and what are my options? Any Thoughts?

Marcus

Mr.Lloyd
07/29/2004, 12:06 PM
I would go perpendicular to the joists .I did that but also added 2 10 ' long 4x4's with jacks on cement blocks.If your tank will be over a crawl space,$100 in jacks and timbers could keep it where you want it.Most likely you would never have a problem without the extra support.You are going to spend lots of $ on a reef tank so what is the peace of mind worth?When I do big animal diarammas like crocodiles in a splash scene chasing 2 warthogs with one caught by his back leg ,I go extra big on the supports.Better to pay for 1" stock and not have it bend than use 1/2'' and wonder if it will .