PDA

View Full Version : First Critters for my 100 gal reef...

Playdope
07/28/2004, 09:13 PM
Originally I had this first list of things planned to add to my tank as janitors:

50 Astrea snails
50-100 Cerith snails
12 Scarlet reef hermits (plus extra hermit shells!!)
6 Emerald crabs
8 Nassarius snails
Empty hermit shells

However, after looking at some tanks, it doesn't seem like getting that many snails will really keep the algae in the tank any more in check (correct me if i'm wrong). So here is a new list I am considering:

10 scarlet hermits
10 astrea snails
25 cerith snails
8 nassarius snails
Empty hermit shells
1 sally lightfoot crab
1 emerald crab
1 pepperment shrimp

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks,
Jon

s1xtyfe3t
07/29/2004, 12:07 AM
I like the addition of the sally... they're my favorite critter... followed closely by porcelain crabs.

Playdope
07/29/2004, 04:38 AM
I guess what I'm really trying to ask - is the option with less snails enough snails to keep a 100 gal tank grazed pretty well from algae?

After adding live rock and sand, I have progressively noticed some brown specks scattered around on the sand surface. I'm not sure if this is what so many call "detritus", if it's some kind of life, if it's fish poo, or what?? But it would be nice if I could get some critters in the keep the bed completely white. I know the stuff isn't diatoms, it's more little chunks of stuff.

In the tank now is about 140 lbs of rock, sugarfine aragonite, 6 or 7 hermits, and one pretty beefy mexican turbo snail.

Thanks,
jon

s1xtyfe3t
07/29/2004, 10:24 AM
sand sifters will be your best help for that... most likeley it's dinoflaggelates.... I got them bad when I set up my 90 I was to the point where I was vacuuming the chunks out every day.

DonJasper
07/29/2004, 11:46 AM
I'd suggest that if you didn't have the clawed things that {some} snails would breed until their numbers would eventually self-regulate. There's a teeny tiny snail and a small 1/4" size snail that are common hitchhickers on LR.

I doubt that you'll be happy with the results of using biological means to keep the sand 'completely white'. Pure white = No food. No food = Starve to Extinction. No more biological control.

How deep is your sand BTW?

Playdope
07/30/2004, 06:57 AM
What makes you think it could be dinoflagellates?

My sand bed ranges from 1-3 inches depending on where in the tank. Didn't want DSB.