PDA

View Full Version : black sand

bowfront26
07/28/2004, 01:45 PM
I was planning on using black sand in my 10 g. nano reef. It says that it doesn't have buffing capability. Is this going to be a serious problem or can I just use a 2 part buffer/calc. to correct it.
Thank you

Sugar Magnolia
07/28/2004, 01:56 PM
It won't be a problem, but keep in mind that when using a 2 part additive you'll have to get an alk and CA test kit to keep an eye on the levels to be sure you don't over dose the tank. Never dose something that you can't test for!

I love the look of the black sand but I was afraid that the detritus accumulating on the sand bed would be an issue. Kind of unsightly and I'd be forever vaccuuming the bottom.

rshimek
07/28/2004, 02:31 PM
Hi,

Sugar's answer is complete. [thanks]

Philwd
07/30/2004, 06:51 PM
Hi Sugar,
I was thinking Tahitian black sand DSB for my new tank. I was wondering why you think the detritus buildup is worse than oolite. I think I'm missing something here.

Thanks,
Phil

troubled0001
07/30/2004, 11:05 PM
how do you vacuum sand?
I've yet to pull that one off without simply sucking up the sand and makin' a heck of a mess.

Ninong
07/31/2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by bowfront26
I was planning on using black sand in my 10 g. nano reef. It says that it doesn't have buffing capability.

So where does this black sand come from? Is it volcanic in origin?

rshimek
07/31/2004, 12:10 PM
George,

Yes, generally it is. Basically lava sand; it is common on many Pacific islands.

Ninong
07/31/2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by rshimek
George,

Yes, generally it is. Basically lava sand; it is common on many Pacific islands.

Doesn't that mean that it would contain the same chemical makeup as the molten magma in the Earth's mantle? Are these stable crystals that cannot dissolve over time in saltwater?

rshimek
07/31/2004, 03:51 PM
Hi George.

Many of the minerals in magma change when they reach the surface - both due to the lack of pressure, but also due to the presence of water and oxygen in the atmosphere. As with all minerals, there is always some dissolution in salt water, but the the dissolution is slight. Volcanic islands don't dissolve. They erode away or sink due to their own mass. Lava rock underlies virtually all coral reefs.