PDA

View Full Version : Question to Dr. Ron

2Rockstar
07/28/2004, 01:27 AM
Salt water nitrogen cycle is taking about 2 and 1/2 month.

I am setting up 125G Salt Water, but
to speed up the cycle I am running the aquarium with fresh water.
The nitrogen cycle is already done and I am going to add salt to it.

What kind of the effect is this going to have on bacteria.

I personally think that it will have little effect on bacteria or none going from fresh water to salt.

I have argued with my friend, because he said that the bacteria is going to die. I think that this is a dumb statement.

Because one can setup marine aquarium using dry sand and rock than add salt, with out using live rock or sand and still have bacteria in marine tank.

I told my friend sarcastically "Do you think that just because I have setup marine tank without using live rock or sand. Bacteria is going to come to my tank from ocean, “hey let’s go to Chicago because there is a guy there who needs some marine bacteria.�

Anyway, How is the bacteria going to be affected going from fresh to salt water?
Thank You.

rshimek
07/28/2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 2Rockstar

Hi,

Salt water nitrogen cycle is taking about 2 and 1/2 month.

This is far too long.

I am setting up 125G Salt Water, but
to speed up the cycle I am running the aquarium with fresh water.

Why?

The nitrogen cycle is already done and I am going to add salt to it.

What kind of the effect is this going to have on bacteria.

It will kill most of them. A few will survive. You will have to start the cycle all over again.

I personally think that it will have little effect on bacteria or none going from fresh water to salt.

Nope.

IBecause one can setup marine aquarium using dry sand and rock than add salt, with out using live rock or sand and still have bacteria in marine tank.

The bacteria colonize the tank from the air around you. This is not a particularly efficient or optimal way way to set up a tank.

I told my friend sarcastically "Do you think that just because I have setup marine tank without using live rock or sand. Bacteria is going to come to my tank from ocean, “hey let’s go to Chicago because there is a guy there who needs some marine bacteria.�

Live marine bacteria - and diatoms and other microalgae - have been demonstrated to be in air as "micro" dust all over the world. They get tossed up in water droplets as waves break, etc.
No matter where you set up a marine tank - if you provide the appropriate habitat- they will colonize it. Further necessary diversity of the organisms will be added when you add live rock or organisms.

How is the bacteria going to be affected going from fresh to salt water?

It really depends upon the bacterial species, but most of them will die or go dormant. These organisms are quite well adapted to their particular salinity regimes.

2Rockstar
07/28/2004, 11:13 PM
Thank You for your help Ron.
Ps. Looks like my friend was right.