PDA

View Full Version : Need worms

user48953
07/27/2004, 05:38 PM
I just got back from vacation (little over 2 weeks) and noticed that my sand bed has a few patches of harden clumping sand.. the largest patch being about 4"x3".. the bed is fine araganite (not sugar size) 1.2-1.5mm if memory serves me right..

i've read it could be either bacteria or calcium precipation causing the clumping.. will test to see if it's bacteria when i get home tonight..

either way, i don't think i have enough worms to stir the sand.. does anyone know where locally i can pick up an "injection" kit of worms?

thereefgeek
07/27/2004, 05:47 PM
Are you using 2 part buffers to suppliment Ca/alk? Sometimes those buffers can cause Ca to bind the substrate if other trace elements are out of whack. If memory serves me, you might need some traces of Mg to balance out the water chemistry. Worms won't keep your sand from binding. You might want to repost in the Chemistry forum, and explain what supliments and how much you're using. A calcium reactor can help aleviate the binding problem. Good luck.

tpete
07/27/2004, 10:29 PM
If you think you might need to add Mg, go to Walmart, buy a bag of epsom salts. I add A tbsp of epsom salt mixed in 1 gal of makeup h2o with every water change. It seems to perk things up generally. Terry

duec22
07/28/2004, 12:28 AM
If you have both an alk and calcium test kits...here is a good article covering the two..

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm