PDA

View Full Version : ICH-Here today gone tomorrow - Sort of

dougisom@hotmail.com
07/27/2004, 01:44 PM
I have an anthia with a solid case of ICH. I have been unable to catch the fish and have so far been too lazy to build a DIY fish trap. The fish is still healthy and is eating well so I have been hoping just to ignore the issue and hope it goes away. Also my tank is mostly coral, so I am not willing to risk dustruction of my reef to catch him. If I do catch him, I already have a hospital tank ready to start the hypo process.

Here is my question. Along with the anthia, I also have a foxface in the tank. Yesterday the foxface had 1 white spot. I figured, uh oh, here it comes. Then today, the spot is gone. What does that mean? Does the foxface have ich? Did the parasite attempt to attach and fail?

disom

SAT
07/27/2004, 06:56 PM
Hard to be sure in this case. It's possible the fish's immune system kicked it off. Alternately, if you assume a 3 day minimum for attachment, it's possible the spot just didn't show for the first two days.

It's apparent that the foxface has at least partial immunity. However, there's evidence that a fish with partial immunity can host a small number of parasites, thus keeping the population going. The approach which guarantees Ich won't survive in your tank is to treat all the fish.

dougisom@hotmail.com
08/11/2004, 02:16 PM
Here is an update on my post. I chose the do nothing route, just to see what would happen. I did build a fish trap in case my anthia stopped eating. As stated earlier, I didnt want him to die, but didnt want to destroy my tank trying to catch him. Other than the one spot on my foxface, none of my other fish have ever shown any signs of ich. My anthia has not had any spots for two weeks now. I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. This is obviously not the recommended approach for treating ich, but I am hopeful it will work out in this case.

disom

speckled trout
08/12/2004, 01:14 PM
If your fish did indeed have ich, it will most likely return. If you add another fish to your system you stand a very good chance of a major reoccurance especially if you introduce a fish that is readily susceptible to ich like regals, etc.

Since it sounds like you only have 2 fish and mostly corals I think I'd probably go your route. The thing that you must remember is that once in your system it'll always be there unless you get rid of its hosts for a long enough period of time. I have a foxface that never showed any signs of ich even though every other fish in my sytem was blanked by it. I chose to remove all my fish(6 weeks) and to treat them separate from my main display tank, a choice that gauranteed removal of the parasite. It, however, was a huge amount of work, but since I mainly have fish it was the only way the made sense.

Keep your water parameters as pristine as possible and hopefully your fish will be able to keep parasite in check. Good Luck.

gillies
08/12/2004, 02:29 PM
I have a clown with ich. I caught him and now have him resting in my refugium. I then read some very informative threads about QT tanks, fresh water dips, hyposalinty and copper. This led me frantically to Petco and spend $65 for a QT tank. I then went to a couple LFS and asked for copper treatment and further advice. All I got was more confused and stressed.

I now have the solution. I'll let the clown rest in the refuge a while - maybe it will be his new home. I'll relax and remember that my tank conditions are good. I'll accept that not all of my fish are going to make it. I'll understand that the stress of treatment is just as likely to kill the fish as leaving him alone.

Don't get me wrong. I love animals and take great care with my tank, but some fish just aren't going to make it.

Remember: "All drains lead to the ocean,"

:strooper:

gillies
11/10/2005, 02:12 PM
That clown is still in the fuge fat and happy. No QT or copper necessary - all he needed was rest/relaxation and all the spots went away.

speckled trout
11/10/2005, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking. If your fish had ich, then the parasite is still present in your system. It's only a matter of time before it once again rears its ugly head.

gillies
11/12/2005, 04:53 PM
Baloney - it's been over a year. I just don't believe the whole "parasitic cycle" jargon. So many experts here on Reeef Central - for all I know, you are some 14 year old kid who spends most of his time picking pimples.

speckled trout
11/14/2005, 03:11 PM
Say what? Why are you trying to be a jerk? I only stated what has been proven. If you don't want advice, don't seek it! :mad2:

It's life cycle isn't "jargon" as you so eloquently stated. It's documented and well understood. :rolleyes:

You indeed are a dreamer. I promise to never "bother" you again.

SAT
11/14/2005, 06:59 PM
[flamealert]